Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just re-installed my 3 pipes on my ZRT 600 after painting them. One pipe leaks a little at the exhaust manifold, enough that a little oil blows out cold, and you can feel the leak when warm. Do I need to replace the donut type gaskets or have any of you used a sealer that works. What is best?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Try taking the pipe that is leaking off and reinstalling it.  Maybe is isn't "seated" in there good.  Also inspect the donut ring and make sure there is no cracks/chips, etc. in it.  If everything looks good and that doesn't work, I would get a good high temp. sealant and go around it.  Not sure of a specific brand, but I'm sure there are lots out there that will do the trick...  It wouldn't hurt to seal it all up anyway, including where the pipes go into the silencer also.
Good luck.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, phazerhater. The donut looks O K and I have tried to re-seat the pipe a few times, so I will try the sealer. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
185 Posts
enduringexplorer,

had the same problem with my ZL500, only it was the Y-Pipe that was leaking at the manifold... bought two new gaskets, and checked to make sure there was no carbon build up on the pipe or the exhaust port..... had to lightly file it down to make it sit tight..... it was worth buying the two new gaskets, only like 2 bucks a piece

just my $.02

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help, guys. I bought a new gasket anyway, and it still leaked some, so I used Permatex Ultra Copper high temp sealer. I have race car buddies that use that stuff to seal their headers. It worked well. No leaks/cheap fix.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
You need to get the high temp sealent.  Its orange in color.  You put it around every seam.  and squeeze it into the seam.  The leak will then stop on its own as carbon builds up.  

Stock bombardiers come with the sealent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts