Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking under the hood of my ski-doo the other day, and a crazy thought occured to me: why not hook that 580 up to a small turbocharger? i know i would have to create a oil system to lubercate it, but looking at the concept of it, would it work? what about nitrous?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Ya sure, both would work, if you don't mind blowing your sh!t up, but don't waste your time or money, buy a bigger sled!!!!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I seen a turbocharged triple cylinder Polaris at a radar run(I think it was an RXL??)  but he was fast.  A lot faster than any other sled there.  My 600 MXZ hit 79, and I don't remember exactly what his hit, but it was fast.  I know it was over 100mph.  112 rings a bell but that could be wrong.  But that does show that it can work.  I was thinking of doing the same thing if I get ahold of an older sled.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Look back through the post in this one there should be atleast on thread that had some info about putting a turbo in a sled.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
for what it would cost i would put the cash towards a new sled.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I do like my turbo sled and have good luck with it, but it's not for everyone. You do need a good clutching and all around sled background to get it just right, but even when it's off it's FAST. Most of the time with any mod you make to a sled, if you have problems it's because of something you did or should of done and didn't. 1000 miles same belt.
Run the Aerocharger and you don't have to deal with any oil issues.
Use good pistons.
Use good fuel, 8lbs of boost sould be 100+oct
Run the power jet rich. Lots of fuel and it's still fast.
Use a Arctic Cat roller Bearcat driven clutch on ANY brand of sled you turbo.

I raced my turbo ZR 580 (not setup for radar, ready to trail ride) at Tip-up town radar run this year and ran 3rd in I/S600.
Some MPH from sleds that ran that day:
ZR 580 : 88mph (my sled)
ZR 800 : 85mph
ZR 900 : 86mph

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Imagine a lighter Zr 600 and toydoc's setup!!!!! It would be real nasty to face that!!!
Caleb

·
Registered
731 Posts
I wouldn't say spank  

But it's as fast or faster than the new big twins or triples.
Some built sleds beat up on me that day:
ZR 800 93mph (PSI 950 kit)
ZR 800 92mph (D&D 1010 kit)

But my sled started with 90hp and it's still a stock 580cc engine, so it's not to bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts