Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to buy a sled in Canada if you live in the US???? If it is why don't more people do it because it seems like a good way to save a few bucks... or a few thousand bucks!!!

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
its a sweet deal, but i here that there r fines for doing this. i think if the dealer in canda can get fined because it is taking business from dealers in the states. this is just something heard. but frigg what a deal for u americans if u can do it. i know its legal to come over hear and by used sleds. that when u can get a sweet deal. there was a a guy from maine buying used sleds over here at retial price can. going back to maine and selling them for the same money or close to it in american. he was doing very well. how come nobody else has figured this out. :withstupid:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
There are very strict rules on new sleds. Bombardier for instance does not want to take away form american sales, because if you went to canada to buy your new rev it would be chepaer than dealer cost in the states. So they do not wnat dealers in canada to sell new sleds to us citizens. The dealers are actually making you give them a canadian adress before they will sell a sled to you. As for used sleds it is fair game. I buy used sleds form canada and buy them here. SOme of the sleds are only a few months old with only a few hundred miles but much better deal than they are in the states.

·
Registered
515 Posts
their is also a probleme with waranty`s for yamaha anyway yamaha canada and yamaha usa are 2 seperate corporation if i sell a sled to a us citizen his waranty must go through yanmaha canada.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Where you save the most Money is when what you are purchasing in Canada is built in the United States (The Tarrifs are paid by Dealer or Manufacturer. If the product is built in Canada and you buy it when you cross the border you have to pay the tarrfis. This only applies to new products.
For example: If you bought a Artic Cat (or a product built in the US) you would save the most Money because it is Built in the United States. If you bought A Ski Doo you would save little or no money because of the tarrifs that would be imposed on you when you cross the border or that had already been imposed on the Dealer/Manufacturer.

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you bought A Ski Doo you would save little or no money because of the tarrifs that would be imposed on you when you cross the border or that had already been imposed on the Dealer/Manufacturer.
Who fed you that line?

Just curious, as to where these silly rumours start.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
ALOT od dealers and individuals sell new and used sleds st the Bronson,Mi auction. Most always they state canadian sled warrentys not honored in US. Some dealers can pull it out though I've heard. Now I have a dealer in CAD on the us border that is willing to sell me a 03 Pro-X 440 Liquid race sled for 5800 US OTD and still honor warrenty. That is a huge savings over us dealers. I'm always looking and sometimes it's worth it sometimes it's not. You still have to pay taxes when you go to register it here in MI. So you need to have them write up a bill of sale with a super low purchase price so you pay less taxes.
caleb

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by LB700@Feb 5 2003, 11:55 AM
If you bought A Ski Doo you would save little or no money because of the tarrifs that would be imposed on you when you cross the border or that had already been imposed on the Dealer/Manufacturer.
Who fed you that line?

Just curious, as to where these silly rumours start.
I believe I may have mis spoke, I don't know if they where Tarrifs or just an exsize tax/duty at the Boarder. But when I researched buying a sled from Canada when talking to the Different Dealers this what I summized. I could save alot on a Artic Cat built in the US but the Savings for a Ski Doo built in Canada was Minor. The savings on the Artic Cat was so great that I went with a friend to Canada and picked up a F7 for him.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Originally posted by konkinj@Feb 4 2003, 10:51 PM
It is not quite that bad. Actually $5000 USD = $7900 CND
I think some of you guys are a bit confused. Use my figures from above as an EXAMPLE.
If you go to a bank in Canada OR the USA with $5000 USD, the teller will gve you $7900 CND.
If you go to a sled dealer in Canada OR the USA with $5000 USD you can purchase a sled with a sticker price of $7900 CND.
If the suggersted list price of ANY brand of sled is $5000 USD at a dealer in the United States, the suggested list price of that same sled will be CLOSE to $7900 CND in Canada. (I make a disclaimer with this statement------ my figures will be close, not nessissarily exact, because of changes in the exchange rate over a season and a few other factors that the manufacturers apply). The statement above that one brand is cheaper (or more expensive) because it is made in Canada or the US is just not true.
There is no duty on Polaris, Doo and Cat sleds because of NAFTA, I am unsure about Yamaha. Sales taxes definitely will be charged when Importing a sled into either country (these taxes, in my opinion are just another form of duty). These sales taxes need to be paid on BOTH new and used sleds when importing them into Canada
There is no excise duty or tarrifs on sleds because of NAFTA.
There, now I feel better :p

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so if there aren't any excise taxes duties or tariffs why don't more people import sleds??? It seems to me like there's some hidden clause that makes it not worth it to buy a sled in Canada.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I can't answer the question about why sleds don't go from Canada to the US, but I have imported 3 sleds from the US to Canada (I got a good deal at a couple of auctions), and I can tell you the paperwork is a real pain in the ###.
There is a semi governmental agency called R.I.V. (registrar of imported vehicles), with a whole long list of procedures (including inspections at acredited stations). The fee was $200+ dollars on the last seld I brought back.
This R.I.V. outfit controls all vehicles, including trailers, so if you plan on importing anything to Canada my advice is to know exactly what you need to do IN ADVANCE. If you don't you could be stuck with a vehicle that you can't register (get a licence plate for).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts