Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I AM LOOKING AT BUYING A 1995 ZR 700 IN GOOD SHAPE,I'M TRYING TO FIND ANY INFORMATION ON IF THIS WAS A PROFORMANCE SLED, TRAIL... BEING THERE WAS A EXT, ZR, AND ZRT.
WAS THIS A RELIABLE SLED?
ANY FEEDBACK WOULD REALLY HELP.
THANKS...

·
Registered
442 Posts
back in the day those 700's rocked! they had factory twin pipes with about 120 or so horsepower.  sure they liked their clutches and may have vibrated at idle a little but once you went down the trail with them they are quite smooth running engines and had pretty good torque for the day.  they handle pretty well too they had the AWS IV front suspension which really handled pretty well for the day and the rear suspension wasn't bad for the day either

as for the ZR, EXT, and the ZRT the ZR is kind of the racer wannabe machine, the EXT is the solo touring machine, and the ZRT's are the tripples

·
Registered
430 Posts
The 95' 700 Cat was a great trail sled, in 1995.
Before purchasing this sled check to see
if it has a balancer for the crank shaft on it. ( The true ZR's came with them)
This will eleminate the typical 700 vibration.
In addition the 700's did have a terrible stock clutch and jetting setup.
My personal opinion (from vast experience with these sleds is:)
Unless you plan on spending a great deal of time "Dialing in" this sled I would
choose to look at a different modle. (I.E. any of the tripples, zr580's, ext's)
If you really want this machine on the other hand you will have to do some
heavy duty clutching, jetting and suspension work to keep up with any of the newer
sleds and some of the sleds of that era.
It was a good sled in its day, but since then we have all come to reallize that for
the same amount of  money there is much better equipement with more potential.

·
Registered
555 Posts
ZR = Performance twin
ZRT = Performance Triple
EXT = Trail, and came with a twin or a triple, depending on the model you bought. They had Ryde FX shocks instead of Fox. The EXT came with a 580 twin with the ZR chassis and the EXT came with a 600 triple with the ZRT chassis (with the exception to the lame paint jobs and the Ryde FX shocks)

As for the 700, I agree to avoid that one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts