Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any thoughts on adding extra idler wheels? If it's woth the time and the money?  I'm able to add 4 extra to my sled, (98 Formula dlx 583).  Is it worth adding all 4 or two, or none at all??

Thanks.

Crazy Canauck

·
Registered
757 Posts
The general trend is to remove idler wheels (weight).  I've also always heard that "more idlers = more drag = lost performance".
I guess the trade off would be Hy-fax wear.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If snowmobiles were ridden in only powder conditions, idlers would not be necessary at all. They actually reduce friction in icy conditions when there is not much loose snow to lubricate hyfax. I would not add any, nor would I remove any unless you are riding in ideal conditions all the time.

·
Registered
692 Posts
wow

less wheels better??

i tyhink not!!! the more wheels the less friction real simple
friction = slow
less friction =
??

wheels do not cause friction, they spin w/ the track  the more wheels the less friction. its that simple!

id also buy a 700 or 800 if your looking to go faster

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I'd leave it just the way it is, unless you notice excessive hyfax wear.

·
Registered
757 Posts
folgers - It's not as simple as you think.  I don't have the formulas to prove it but there is added friction in adding wheels (rolling resistance and contact with the track).  Then you get into added unsprung weight and all of that.

I agree with Jim, unless there is a hyfax problem, leave it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
if the track hits the slides what does the track do??
slow down no
if the track hots the wheels what does it do?
spin w/ the wheels No?

so the question is do you want the track to spin w/ the wheels or DRAG along the slides?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sliders (hyfax) spread the weight of the sled over a larger area than wheels do. This and also increased suspension travel are the reason why we have sliders and not bogies on modern sleds.

You can buy extra idler wheels, but they are recommended for icy conditions (hence the term ice wheels).

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
More wheels=less friction
More wheels=more weight
More wheels=more rotating weight

Ask yourself, do you REALLY need more wheels? Are you riding on bare ice-roads-dirt-ashpalt?
I solved the excessive wear problem on the curve [if this is what your getting at] by installing oversize wheels made by fast.  They are 1/4" taller [1/8" more below the rails] and the track rolls easier[can really feel the difference when you let off the throttle] and the center wheels really are not nessesary anymore. So why add extra junk if you dont need it.IMO only.........

·
Registered
308 Posts
unless you have a specific riding condition where you want less wear on the hyfax or need to ride on bare ice all the time.  I agree with jim and mikadoo.  The other reason is using a higher track lug like a mountain sled and riding it on a lake.   then you may need extra wheels to prevent excess wear.

·
Registered
356 Posts
In the last couple of new sleds I've had we have added the fourth wheel kit (made our own) to the rear axle. I think it helps the track to stay aligned better on high stress turns. As for slide saver wheels, seems like what the sled comes with is ok, I know they are on my SC 10's.
If I rode in Michigans U.P. in deep snow all the time, I'd set up for fewer wheels, but downstate where I have to ride most of the time we are on roads and lakes, etc. and I think the extra wheels help.... just my 2 cents worth.... DooZ.......

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok....I know with last year, I put 800 km on the sled..  
, and the slidders...are done.  (alot of dry....conditions.)

but if you only go thru one set a year, any ways....(if good weather...then more km's ...but same wear ...because more snow...slides...last longer...)  so for the 40 bucks for the new slides.....I don't think I will spen 100 bucks....make them last a year and a half...and change them half year....(no garage to change them...and I don't want to do them in the snow bank either...lol

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

CC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts