Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 800x that has 2600 miles on it. I pulled it out of the trailer today and noticed some oil seeping from the lower mag cylinder. I decided to pull the cylinders and take a look. To my surprize, the mag side is soaked in oil, almost to the top of the case deck. The PTO side is normal looking with about 1 oz at the bottom. The mag side has almost 6 oz's. I checked the lines and everything looks fine. There is a return line back to the oil tank which had oil in it. Questions that I have:

Has anyone else seen this?

Is it possible for the oil from the tank to leak down into the cylinders over long storage time?

Why would only the Mag side have excess oil?

Should I worry about it?

I have had many other motors a part and never seen this before. I know that I will remove the oil before I reinstall the cylinders but I figured I would ask and see!!!

Thanks

800x2002

·
Registered
221 Posts
Did your oil tank go down any amount? That seems to be quite a bit of oil for summer storage. May be your pump is allowing oil to weep past it.
 My biggest concern would be how did the oil get out. Did it leak thru the exhaust or from where? Any place other than exhaust would not be good as it would indicate a leak somewhere. If oil can leak out air can get in and lean the engine out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bobber, it leaked out for the exhaust manifold. Also, the oil tank was full when it was stored so I know it leaked down because the oil tanks is a lot lower now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Chances are the check valve is leaking. Thats the brass fitting pressed into the bottom of the crankcase. It has a ball check in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts