Snowmobile World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into an F5 for next year. I am looking for a sno-pro model. I am wondering what do they get for mileage, what kind of top speed do they get and what year is better and why? I know in 03 they came w/ 10 tooth drive wheels then got switched to 9 tooth drivers in 04. I think it was o5 when they got the ACT drive system (diamond drive). Just looking for as much input as possible. I want an f5 cause it is as close to a sno-pro 440 I can get with out it being a "race sled" I have learned over the years than I don't need anything bigger for the riding I do and i am pretty sure it will be just as fast as my current sled. Thanks.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I got my 06 F-5 (standard) to dance around the 97-99 marks a couple times. never hit the tripple digets though.....I was happy with it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've been told by a few diffrent dealers and some buddies that the 2003 model year F-body sleds are the fastest production year. They had a slightly more agressive stock tune in them. That is also the reason alot of 2003 F-body sled owners grenaded there sleds. I was told that alot of the 03 sleds were coming back blown up because people werent breaking them in properly before riding them hard. The agressive tune was making the sleds lean out.
I actually bought my sled with 2300 mi. on it and a completly fresh motor...that was covered by warranty. It still had the tank of pre-mix in it for my first ride out. My computer was sent to D&D Racing to be re-flashed with the 04 tune for the fresh motor. I broke it in well before I started riding hard on it, just to be safe. Last winter was my 3rd season out with it and I havent had any problems yet....
Watch out for the 2004 models. They have a recall with the gas tanks cracking. My cousin had a 04 F6 and the tank cracked right around the filler neck. I read the recall notice and it also said they were cracking on the bottoms of the tanks, which can cause fire if the fuel dumps onto your engine.
I would stay away from the diamond drive sleds as well, for 2 reasons... 1. You cannot put reverse on the diamond drive sleds, and 2.the gear box is problematic. A friend of the family bought a brand new 05 F7 with the diamond drive. He put literally 9 miles on it and the diamond drive gear box locked up. We flipped the sled on its side, beat the heck outta the track until it free'd up, than we towed her off the ice. I read a article about those diamond drives a month later in a snowmobiling magazine. There was trouble with them through-out the US. They were reporting one of two things happening to them, both involved the case seal (which is a factory sealed non-servicable part BTW).. either the seal would let the oil leak out which in turn seized up the gearbox....OR the seal was allowing water to get in, which in turn will freeze and also lock up your gearbox....either way it happens IT's NO GOOD!
One last thing I can think of....I'm not 100% which years were affected, but I know its atleast 2003, 2004 model year F-body sleds had a steering arm recall. Make sure the sled you buy either has the update/recall done, or make sure you get it done. The steering arm weld can break which causes a loss of steering/control.....Not good at the speeds these machines can travel.. :whatever:
I hope this helps guide you to the right model sled for you..... I was just trying to list off everything I encountered and found out after I had bought my sled.

Also for what its worth....my 03' chain driven EFI F7 eats up that 05 diamond drive EFI F7. (After he got it fixed and broken in of course)
My cousins 04 chain driven EFI F6 will keep right up with me until about 85 than he is eating my snow roost at any speeds higher than that.
Hope this all helps....and good luck finding your new sled. :christmas:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts