Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi I have a 1994 Indy trail deluxe with a 500 f/c , engine works great but I would like somthing with a little more power to it ( im thinking a newer 600 liquid twin) what are some things I need to consider before starting this,( parts list, what I could keep the same/ what I couldent, what will fit) anyone ever done this kind of thing before, I also would like to upgrade the suspension, what is the easiest upgrade suspension? Thanks

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Suggest you seriously consider replacing the sled.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I 2nd that, that is a headache waiting to happen[/b]

This would be as a second sled a 'project' if you will , no one seems interested in buying it so I figgure that there is no point in it sitting in the garage doing nothing, its still forsale but if I dont sell it in a reasonable time I would only then begin this project

·
Registered
430 Posts
Your project would be an utter waste of time. You will spend more modifiying your current sled than just buying a liquid cooled sled.
Its one thing to convert from a liquid to a fan however the other way around is a complete waste of time and money.
Do you realize that you'r building a sled from the ground up.
Adding the heat exchangers will require extensive modifications to your tunnel and chassis.
You will also need purchase and mount all of the other cooling components needed.
cooling tank, hoses, brackets etc, etc..
In addition to the above you will need to re-clutch, re-gear and re-rout everything.
In the end you will have spent all summer and still only have a 13 year old cobled together machine that has $0.00 value.
I would think twice about this venture.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It can be done, but it will only bring you tears...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your project would be an utter waste of time. You will spend more modifiying your current sled than just buying a liquid cooled sled.
Its one thing to convert from a liquid to a fan however the other way around is a complete waste of time and money.
Do you realize that you'r building a sled from the ground up.
Adding the heat exchangers will require extensive modifications to your tunnel and chassis.
You will also need purchase and mount all of the other cooling components needed.
cooling tank, hoses, brackets etc, etc..
In addition to the above you will need to re-clutch, re-gear and re-rout everything.
In the end you will have spent all summer and still only have a 13 year old cobled together machine that has $0.00 value.
I would think twice about this venture.[/b]

This will be like i said a last resort for the machine, only if I can not sell it, I do plan on buying a good sled as a primary ride and only after that woud I think about doing this, I just wanted to get a list of stuff to think about in the design rocess of a project like this and a "shopping list" of stuff I would need to get / change to make a project like this happen just incase I go through with it I want to have lots of planning and do it the "right" way. this is not a for shure plan, just somthing that my friend and I have come up with for a project. I would just as soon sell it but so far no offers on it. Thanks for the concern though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also a 'project' is not about cash value, its about making somthing your own, and being able to smoke somone unexpectatly lol

·
Registered
657 Posts
I understand where you're going with the "project" idea. I have an old car that nobody cares about (well, people who once owned one like it, or simply like older cars, give possitive remarks; it doesn't go unnoticed) and most people would not sink too much money in it. BUT it's not exactly what I want and it's simple enough that I can do whatever I want to it to increase performance, looks, and customize the entire car in the process. I still do not know what the finished project will look like. For now, I'll simply enjoy riding it around town and across the island :)

However, with this said, if you're looking to smoke someone off-guard, the best thing to do is start with the level sled you're planning on doing it with. If you want people to think you have a 500LC sled, but you really have a 8 under the hood, that will catch people by surprise. More so with better clutching and other mods to improver performance (you could get a smaller engine to match the performance of a stock 8 with the right mods, for example). But to take a fc sled and turn it lc... that's a bigger task than me taking my carburated V8 and turning it into fuel injected. The kits do exist... but it would be cheaper for me in the end to buy a fuel inject V8 and "unplug" the original engine to make room for the new one. To turn a FC sled into a LC sled is practically rebuilding the sled, but more work. To rebuild a sled is great experience and a good learning tool for future mechanic endeavers. But to rebuild a sled AND change it over to something else... would be much like me taking my metal Ford and converting it to a fiber-glass convertable. It can be done... but is it worth it?

I wouldn't go to town with an old FC simply to surprise people with a larger LC engine under the hood. Not to say you can't do it or that you shouldn't do it... but it would be more fun to buy parts (chassis, body, etc) and build an entirely new sled from scratch without having to make any modifications beyond making the whole thing fit together and work. (Just an example, not meant to follow.)

I just think there are more "fun" projects that you could be doing which would involve the same amount of work, but end up more rewarding in the end.

·
Registered
393 Posts
You could buy a lc chassis and put your hood and etc. on it.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Buy a Lc O say a 580 cat thow a 700 motor in then go to the lake it will be a lot cheaper and fast and then if you still want to stick cash into it , It will only go faster!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts