Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if any of you have any experiences or opinions on Fast Trac studs and the 3m backer technology vs. Woody's.

I'm thinking that it might be nice to try out those studs in my F7, since there's a slight weight savings by using the (more expensive) plastic backers that supposedly flex a bit if needed.

YIKES: Correction, you can put 144 studs in the sled. . . I modified my post here.   Earlier I said only 128, that was wrong.  

But I've heard that studs rip through the track when the backer is to loose or to tight.  So I'm not certain that the "advantage" of a flexible backer is really an advantage.

What do you guys think.

BTW: I have only had studs go through a T-Cat track I had once and that was the outside track (ouch) in 4 places, due to ice build up in the tunnel.  My last sled had no stud problems, a ZR600.  The Sno-Cross length Woody studs all stayed in and worked fine,  I might have replaced two that bent in 4000 miles of use.  This is a good track record for Woody studs, but what about the "plastic" alternative?

Greg

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have used nothing but Fast Trac Top Gun 2's with the plastic poly backers for about 6 years now.  I have NEVER had a pull out, lost stud, broke stud, etc.  I have used well over 2000 of these stud/backer combo.  I can't recommend them enough, yes they are more $$$, but you get what you pay for.  My wife's old sled went over 3800 miles and the studs were still good when I sold it.

I personally have buddies that have had problems with Woody's studs.  I realize that they are very popular, but even if you gave them to me I wouldn't use them, especially on a 1.25" or 1.375" track.

Go with the Fast Trac's you will not regret it.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
A few years back I was having nothing but stud problems, switched over to Woordy's studs and backers no problems since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts