Snowmobile World banner

Fastest sled

14K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  slurp 
#1 ·
These are a good variety of sleds that we will line up on the lake and RACE!!

P.S. Forgot 01 ZR 600 Long track

#3 ·
If it is a longer run I pick the pantera in a short run It would be the zr 500 or 600  the 700 will be with the fanns sucking snow dust.

#4 ·
COME ON BOYS, HE'S ASKING FOR THE FASTEST SELD, TOP SPEED .... AN 800 TWIN (140hp) IN A LONG TRACK OR SHORT TRACK, IT WILL KICK A ZR-700 IN THE A___ ! ANY DAY. I HAD A ZR 700 NOW I KNOW WHY THEY DON'T MAKE IT ANYMORE..

#6 ·
I dont know how you can think that the 800 twin will beat the 700 twin. If you are talking about a pantera it def. does not have the top speed that a ZR 700 could achieve. They are two completely different machines. the pantera is not designed to run lakes. That 140 HP? is designed to pull you and your hefty woman towing your 3 kids in a ski-bob across a lake. If i took a pantera 800 and raced it against a ZR800 who would win? the ZR by a long shot. thats because the ZR is designed to go go go and pantera is designed for comfort and torque. I just dont buy it so if someone actually races these sleds I would love to see the results because I would put money on the 700

#14 ·
800 pantera power all the way i dont care if it is a long track, has electric start, reverse or whatever the Zr 700 doesnt stand a chance you need more then a clutch kit to beat a sled with 25 more horsepower

in ski doos the renegades are only a few mph slower then the mxz's

#15 ·
I dont buy this 800 will beat the 700 B.S. Did anybody forget that the 800 weighs 600 pounds dry weight and the 700 weighs 500 pounds. 25 more horses or not the 700 is 100 pounds lighter. How about wind resistance? is that counted at all. I have an 02 Pantera and the windshield is less then aerodynamic. at 90 the thing is an air plow. I still say the 700 will beat all. With the right rider of course

#16 ·
I don't know guys but I will tell you this. My couch with an attitude is a 1000 Pantera, and on an open lake nothing can touch me. Not my xcr 800, not my buddies mach z.  Mind you these are stock machines but remember this, THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR CC,s.............  ;)

#17 ·
1000 is a different story. Your talking about a triple machine. you cant compare an 800 twin to a 1000 triple. A 700 twin against an 800 twin is not that far outta league.

#19 ·
You have a 550cc pantera (80hp) it does 90mph going down hill with a good wind behind you, an 800cc pantera is about 10 to 15 mph slower then a stock ZR 800, and theres no ZR 700 that will trail a 800 ZR by that speed, also I had a 94 ZR700 that had more top then my 99 ZR 700, cat should have never brought back Freddie Kruger back from the dead, the best ZR-700s were the 94 & 95 (with factory twins about 122hp stock) I ride a ZR 800, my old man rides a new 800 pantera, don't underestimate this seld because it looks like a windobago, it has very good top and would beat many selds out there while pulling a 300lbs woman and 3 kids in a cat cutter.

#20 ·
Whoah!! new guy comes in swinging. Stick around a little while and read up you might learn something. gt800 I agree on the point of triples, I dont know other model sleds and specs. The topic was cat related and thats what I am speaking from, I had a ZRT 800 and I knew guys with the hooper kit that would keep up with thundercats. I know there is some dispute as to wether or not Cat speedo's are accurate. I dont own a radar gun but I was able to get the pantera 550 to just under 90 Guessing 88 or 89 topped out. Friends  MXZ 670 HO was reading 95 as he was passing me on the road. A Pantera 800 comes in at 4.29 HP per pounds (dry weight) The zr 700  comes in at 4.35 HP per pound. Now that we know were running almost the same power to weight ratio lets break this down. A pantera is not clutched for high speed, A 700 is. On hook up the 700 with 96 studs is going to be in a better position. These sleds will run neck and neck till about 60-70 MPH maybe less at which time the 700 will pull ahead slowly. Lets not turn this into a war ok new guy. Cat did not design the pantera for racing it was designed to be a luxury touring machine. The 800 is one powerful fast touring machine I am not disputing that but it is not a ZR. In my eyes this isnt even a fair comparison. Put all the touring sleds in one category and then put all the performance in another then we can battle this out, but otherwise thats my story and Im sticking to it

#23 ·
theres one thing that you  for got is the snow packed or powder? becuse the the longer track would be better and the deep lugs on the mt cat would rock. I just got a 02 600 mountain cat, and that shiat is fast, or at least compared to my 440 trail. But my dad has a 580 pantera and i think that i kick the crap ouy of it on the lake or anywhere else. I would evan say that i could give a zr600 a run for its money.

#26 ·
It is definitely up to the Pantera 800 or the ZR 700.  Stock, the 700 ZRs were turds(late model ones), but they do have potential.  If the mentioned clutch kit is CORRECTLY set up, the ZR gets my vote by.  If you were to say a STOCK ZR though, my vote is on the Pantera.  Heck, the little 500 ZR could probably wax a stock 700 for a good ways!!haha
Also, Powderboy made some very good points too.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.