Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bay St. George RCMP have released the identities of the two people who died in a snowmobile accident near Gallants early yesterday morning. 29 year old Greg Styles and 30 year old Alana Bennett, both of Stephenville were killed when their snowmobile left the groomed trail and collided with several trees. Police are continuing to investigate the cause of the accident.

Just heard from a friend of mine about this this evening when I got home from a ride. I knew Greg well, and his cousin Guy is one of my best friends. Very sad news indeed.
DOn't have many details yet, though I heard that it was foggy, and that it happened on camp 38 trail, a trail with is tree lined, with many hills and turns.
My sincere condolences go out to Greg's mother, his father Derek, his Brother Brent, and all the rest of the family. I'm in near shock over this.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Very Sorry to hear this of your friends Newfie... :( Unfortunately it's another reminder of how precious our friends are to us, and how we need to always be kind to eachother for we never know.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and the family's and friends of these men.

Snow4

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Condolences to the you and the families NB, makes you realize how precious life really is. Peace be with you NB, be well.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Our thoughts and prayers are with the family sorry..

Rick

·
Master Embalmer
1,232 Posts
My condolences to you over this terrible accident. I wish you the best.

Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
Wow, you never know when something like that is going to happen. I feel for everyone involved, I just passed through there myself last week (Fri, Sat; March 9-10). I wasn't on that particular trail system, I stuck with the main trail past Gallants to keep my speed up to make time.

Keep us updated, so that we might be able to avoid future accidents like this.

My condolences to everyone envolved, and you NewfieBullet.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked with a few people about this today, and found out more about where it happened. As I mentioned earlier, 38 Trail is known for being twisty, with lots of rises and drops, short straight sections, and is entirely tree-lined. THere have been many accidents on it over the years, some very serious, but to my knowledge, this is the first fatality. Anytime a snowmobile leaves the trail it's a matter of luck, and there have been many lucky people on 38. Sadly, Greg and Alana weren't lucky Saturday morning. I won't go into details about injuries, but it must have been a very disturbing and upsetting scene for their two frieds who found them. I sincerely hope I never have to know what it feels like to discover any of my friends in a situation like that.
Greg was a very expirienced and capable rider, and though he certainly did like to ride hard, he also knew well the dangers of 38 trail, and I'm surprised that he would've been pushing it with his girlfriend on the back. While tree-lined, 38 encourages fast riding when it's been freshly groomed, and it's a breath-taking, exhilarating ride at a fast pace. We will likely never know what caused the accident, it might have been as simple as hooking an unexpected rut. Things happen so fast, and we often don't realize how much we all rely on luck to keep us safe and sound.
Stephenville is a small, close-knit community, and I'm sure Greg and Alana's death is going to hit people there hard. There will be more then a few people who will not want to think about snowmobiling for awhile, and I too will have a hard time shaking thoughts of Greg, and of the possible consequences of an accident, out of my head the next time I go for a ride.
Rest in Peace.

·
Registered
361 Posts
nb-very sorry to hear about your loss, my prayers go out to you and the friends and family...

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
My condolences...sad very sad indeed. NB keep the faith in this moment of reflection.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
So sorry to hear of your loss NB.
May the pain you feel now, soon be replaced with happy memories of times shared with those you've lost.

Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts