Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite moment snowmobiling? Mine has got to be just cruising around on my old 340 everest with a cherry bomb exhaust. I just cruised around and everyone looked at me cause the sound and i just waved and acted all cool ( Even though the sled look like s*** run over twice ) Then i would Hop up on a 10 foot snowbank and ride on top of it. Then Going full speed (not that fast) and slamming the brakes and spinning it around. I miss that sled :( i :inlove: it

·
Registered
14 Posts
my favorite par is when traffic is backed up on the road, the I go flying past in the ditch. Or when you say your sled is a john deere. And when you blow away a newer sled in a drag.

·
Registered
578 Posts
My favourite day was taking delivery of our first sled, a brand spanking new 77 Scorpion Whip 340. I was 13 and excited beyond belief. Very cool after the last beast we had home, a big blue round something, the name eludes me, but she was old.

I remember my dad pulling up and tossing the keys over. I worked along time for that one.

I rode that thing every chance I had.

I remember it was a bear to start and fouled plugs on a regular basis. Like daily but fortunately my grandfather worked for Prestolite and I had a lifetime supply of plugs.

Oddly I found out later that the oil and mix the dealer had recommended was at fault all along. It was 1996 and my sons and I pulled her out of long term storage, since 83 I think and got her going. I could't remember the oil mix so I got out the old manual and in it was written in pen 20:1 BIG RED oil.

I laughed a bit and read the manual. It called for 40:1, well we mixed some up and she lit right up. We rode it until we bought newer gear and it never fouled again. I always thought it was odd I had to buy oil by the case and my buddies bought it by the quart.They boys were as excited as I was the first day I saw her and they drove it around and around every chance they could.

Oddly enogh the old girl is all original. Never a bearing, motor, track or anything failed. We are thinking of doing a restoration on her for old times sake.

Every year we get her out for a tear. I'm still amased by the thrill that little rocket delivers. It's like driving a toy. You can slide er around at will and turn on a dime. Just a blast. Something to be said for the good ole days.

Those were the days.

Scott

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Scott your story reminds me of the Alan jackson song Drive.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Driving our late 60's Moto-Ski's from Big Whiteshell Lake to Mantario Lake (eastern Manitoba) for a day of ice fishing.

Thinking back, I can't believe how reliable those old sleds were.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I currently ride an 02zr800efi cc. but I really enjoy my first sled that I kept around and finally rebuilt last winter for my kids, it's an 80 el'tigre 6000(500 liquid) man does it fly (90+m.p.h.) I love passing newer sleds on the river (indy's,mx-z's etc.) They always have a second look and can't believe what just past them while i'm giggling under my helmet! I don't think I'll ever sell this sled! (no offence to anyone,I like all brands of sleds!) :)

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Originally posted by KING@Dec 19 2002, 04:41 PM
Hey Scott your story reminds me of the Alan jackson song Drive.
Yeah, that came into my mind too. :withstupid:

SWRules

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I would have to say my favorite moment was my grandfather gave me my first sled. It was a 70 Kawasaki Drifter 340cc. It hadnt run for a few years. I had a hard time getting it to start. The clutch was stuck on it. I had the back end propped up to get it to start. Got the thing to start, dropped it down off the blocks, got halfway across the field and it started to die. I was so happy that the thing moved. My dad towed it back through the field with our Jeep Grand Wagoneer. It freed the clutch up. I was so happy. I knew nothing about sleds then. I was only 12, but I was hooked! SWRules

·
Registered
278 Posts
That's a tuffy....LOL.....as there is so many. I would say my favorite is right now. As when I was growing up, I could only imagine having some of the sleds that I have now. There still are others that I would like to eventually get. Going to the tracks and watching them on action only made me want them more. It's awesome riding some of these vintage sleds on the trails or down the road and watch people just look at amazement at them. Then to come up and say what it is, the story behind it, what size motor it has and other things.

My favorite memory in the old days, was the day my neighbor 2 doors down from where we lived, came home with a 72 797 Blizzard. I was out watching him ride the road and he stopped to let me take it for a spin. A 17 year old with a 100+hp sled......yea haw. I start out fine, awesome riding sled. Then went to turn around and head back. The turn was fine, but the afterwards was not. I punched that sled and when it hooked up, I was gone. I think I was only hanging on by the hand holding the throttle. I took it back to him and ask where he got it. Said he got it at an auction (White Star Auction). I immediately ask if I could go next time he when. Well the next time he went, I came home with a 74 TNT 400 F/A. That 74 was a fast sled. Never had any problems with it. I got a 73 400 F/A now and enjoy it just as much as the 74 I had back then.

·
Registered
372 Posts
the best day i remember on a snow mobile was in 1972 i was 12 years old my father bought me a 1971 -440 spitfire auto-ski....it was great to be crusin on what i tought was the coolest sled............

·
Registered
493 Posts
I got lotts. When driving my old 300 olympique wide open down hte road and the drive belt let go and chunks of belt flew every where. Or when i wuz dirving my 399 olympique down the road pinned and the exhaust fell off and the neighbours had friends over and they were standing in there front yard. i think they all went deaf, so did i. Or was it mabe when i tried to drive up a 5 foot verticle snowbank on my safari it almost went rite up and over. Just came down tho. :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
My best memory is late spring,heading down to my girlfriends place for some petting and having to drive home down the bare roads cause the snow melted. It was worth it :D

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
there's many,but one sticks out. i was racing against the clock on a cross country course layed out on a golf course. came around last corner and headed down a straight for finish line. there was a sled just ahead of me. as soon as i crossed the finish line the girl in front of me just stopped. i hit the brakes so hard i did a hand stand on the handle bars. i was only 15. finished 4th that day on a 73 340 eltigre

·
Registered
5 Posts
yeah i would have to say when me and my brother got are new sleds.. He got a 68 evinrude skeeter and i got a 78 polaris cobra and us going to my uncles because we didnt have are snowmobile safty certificates and me following behind him and my eyes burning so bad because of all the oil he burned.. I swear if he got like a couple min head start into the woods i would just follow the blue smoke trail and find exactly where he was.. those were the good ol times

I sure dont miss working on them things though!! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts