Snowmobile World banner

High Performance Vintage Sleds

• Polaris (Starfires, TXs, and IFS)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arctic Cat (Z, Sno pro, King Cat, EXT)

• Mercury (Sno Twister, Trail Twister)

• John Deere (Liquifire, Liquidator)

• Moto Ski (SR, Bullet, IFS)

• Sno*Jet (Thunder Jet, SST F/A)

• Other (Chap, Skiroule, Alouette, Rupp, and the rest)

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
In my garage sets a '73 eltigre' 400 and a '76 eltigre 5000 In there prospective years they were the winners of the race that is now the I-500! (the models not the actual sleds) If youv'e never rode one of these you don't know what you are missing!
[/b]
Yeah a back ache and a speeding ticket if you can hold it that long. :lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
1985 ElTigre 6000 L/C 500cc.With Aaeen pipes this was one of the fastest sleds at the time,i know i have one.I like the free 500cc so i traded the L/C for it.That free air was a fast engine too.

·
Registered
438 Posts
my 75 twister 440 free air was a devilish machine. :) Power to weight ratio that was unbelievable. Twin pipes,twin carbs, ####e brakes and steering. A real bear to start cold with the choke levers burried inside the cowling and just enough port timing to break you down trying to fire it off on a real cold day. You needed to get a rythm going on the pull cord to get the motor turning fast enough to lite off. Once ya did tho it was one hell of a ride :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
HHHHmmm if i could fill my garage I would find the following. A 75 Rupp nitro 440 f/A, Kawi Invader ,81 Eltigre 5000. merc twister, Polaris TXL. I think then I would be able to get the old sled beast off my back..I needs to be fed!

·
Registered
242 Posts
HHHHmmm if i could fill my garage I would find the following. A 75 Rupp nitro 440 f/A, Kawi Invader ,81 Eltigre 5000. merc twister, Polaris TXL. I think then I would be able to get the old sled beast off my back..I needs to be fed![/b]

What is the difference of a 5000 from a 6000, is the 5000 fan cooled?

·
Registered
36 Posts
The 6000 was liquid and the 5000 was a free-air. When I was a kid my older brother had a 81 5000.It was quite a bit faster than the 340 Rupp yankee I had at the time! That Eltigre made an impression with me! I think the graphics were cooler than the 6000 too!

·
Registered
242 Posts
The 6000 was liquid and the 5000 was a free-air. When I was a kid my older brother had a 81 5000.It was quite a bit faster than the 340 Rupp yankee I had at the time! That Eltigre made an impression with me! I think the graphics were cooler than the 6000 too![/b]
I see. Much like you being partial to the 5000, I would have to be partial to the 6000, my dad got it from a friend some odd years ago, and its always been around. I don't think I've ever seen a 5000 other than in pictures.

·
Registered
200 Posts
wow no kaws on the poll guess i hit the other button the 79 44o invader was a bad bad bad sled still will run with the big dogs as long as u dont turn lol

·
Registered
231 Posts
TNT 640 not very stable but had a lot of giddy up go! Actually I like all the older sleds takes ya back to the "good old days" of breakin' trail!

·
Registered
137 Posts
the old yammies!..my 77 440 still flies and i cn keep up with some brand new ones out of the hole..you are right about the el tigre as well, my buddy had one and they did fly. I gotta say though the old 440 srx or ex is the one for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
mines gotta be the 340 enticer and the 340, and 440 invader. my God they hauled[/b]
My second sled was a 1979 enticer 340. I loved that sled, should have never sold it. Bulletproof, and quite fast for what it was. As far as favorite vintage high performance sled I voted yamaha srx. My friend had a liquid cooled black and gold one, 1980 or 81? I don't know. That thing absolutely SCREAMED. I will never forget the sound of that thing riding it at WOT. Not that reliable though, it seized up on him twice. :whatever:

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
TNT 640 not very stable but had a lot of giddy up go! Actually I like all the older sleds takes ya back to the "good old days" of breakin' trail![/b]
Breaking trails or breaking backs.....................I had a 640 TNT :confused:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had to hit the other button as well. Would have hit Scorpion if it was there. I had an old Brutanza 292 that just plain hauled. I don't remember what year it was, but had to be before Scorpion bought out Brutanza.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts