Snowmobile World banner

High Performance Vintage Sleds

• Polaris (Starfires, TXs, and IFS)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arctic Cat (Z, Sno pro, King Cat, EXT)

• Mercury (Sno Twister, Trail Twister)

• John Deere (Liquifire, Liquidator)

• Moto Ski (SR, Bullet, IFS)

• Sno*Jet (Thunder Jet, SST F/A)

• Other (Chap, Skiroule, Alouette, Rupp, and the rest)

• Total voters
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here in Colorado, high elevation and deep, deep powder, the old 'Cat Cheetahs were very hard to beat as a fine, overall sled..

Todays 750 pound machines are beyond my imagination.. You get one stuck, it's there until spring..

·
Registered
17 Posts
In my garage sets a '73 eltigre' 400 and a '76 eltigre 5000 In there prospective years they were the winners of the race that is now the I-500! (the models not the actual sleds) If youv'e never rode one of these you don't know what you are missing![/b]

Do you mean the winnipeg to st. paul race or the SOO 500?
I only know about the I-500(winnipeg to st. paul international 500), but Polaris driver Stan Hayes won that in 73, Marv Ode won it in 1974 on a eltigre. And Brian Nelson won it in 1976 on a John Deere LIquidator. Archie Simonson won a shortened I-500 in 1977 on Polaris and Nelson won again in 1978 on a ElTigre.

Still very cool sleds!!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
i love the arctic cat jags and el tigres, but i think the tnt's have them beat. I had a 75 Tnt F/C, yea it wasnt really a hi-performance sled, but it handled great and would hit 65 on a good day. very fun and light sled wish i didnt burn the motor down and give it away.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
There must be allot of Canadians on here like me.
Do this pole on any other vintage sled where more US sleders are and the poo Tx would definitely win.[/b]
I don't know the mercs my fav and a few others as well. or so it appears.

·
Registered
393 Posts
my favorite vintage sled was my 73 400 ski-doo free air. top end wasnt all that much but it was very quick, had it set up for the 660' drags. back then their wasnt much that could beat it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to the site and thought that I'd show you my vote fot the best high performance vintage snowmobile. This is my 1982 Kawasaki Interceptor. [attachment=42202:Snowmobile3a.jpg]

41 - 53 of 53 Posts