Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a novice rider looking to buy a good used 2-up touring sled, and am leaning towards Ski Doo more than anything else. I’ve found 4 sleds in my price range in my area, and am looking for some feedback, positive or negative, from anyone with experience with any of them. The are:

1993 Safari for $1,200

1994 Grand Touring 580 for $1,500

1995 Touring LE 380 for $2,000

1995 Touring SLE for $1,900

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
443 Posts
the 1994 grand touring 580 would be your best bet. great motor with great power which you will need. especially if you go threw a bit of deep snow, my dad has a 500 touring and when he gets stuck its a b!tch. i just float over that stuff of course and laugh at him as i go by :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
I would stay away from the Safari due to the lack of power. The 94 Grand Touring 580 has a great motor but the sleds are in the PRS Chassies and are very heavy! trust me I had one. But as for the touring LE they are lighter and nimble they are also in the F-Chassie which has DSA front suspention and the SLE is the same body style with 500 and I think some of them were 500 L/C. So if it were me I would be going with the LE or the SLE

·
Registered
745 Posts
I would stay away from the Safari due to the lack of power. The 94 Grand Touring 580 has a great motor but the sleds are in the PRS Chassies and are very heavy! trust me I had one. But as for the touring LE they are lighter and nimble they are also in the F-Chassie which has DSA front suspention and the SLE is the same body style with 500 and I think some of them were 500 L/C. So if it were me I would be going with the LE or the SLE.

Grant.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Go for the 95s Touring LE 380 or the SLE Touring 500

RUN FROM THE SAFARI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a couple of things I should point out. First, I'm a very laid-back, recreational rider, not a speed demon by any stretch. Also, most of the time I'll be breaking trail (relatively flat terrain). I will almost never be riding on groomed trails.

As undertand it, the Grand Touring 580 is quite a heavy machine. Given the type of riding I'll be doing, is it better that I favour a lighter weight machine over power (as some of you seem to be suggesting), or does power trump weight in trail breaking situations?

Everyone seems to telling me to avoid the Safari. Is it because it is underpowered, or is it wrought with mechanical failures? How many cc's would a '93 Safari have?

Just to let you know, I'm also eyeing a '77 Olympique for $700. I wasn't kidding when I said I was laid-back, recreational rider. Just looking for something to play around on out behind the camp.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I will agree with everyone to stay away from the Safari. As for the engine there is 2 sizes. For your riding style I would stay away from the 94 Grand Touring. The suspention is not that good, heavy & not that good in the powder. It is too bad, the 580 is a good engine. You might find that the Touring LE is not enough power. It is a light sled & I think it is in the S-chassis with the SC 10 suspention. The 95 Touring SLE has a 500, I think it is a fan. I am not sure if it is in the S or F-chassis. If it is a fan it will be a lighter sled. This might be the best sled out of the 4 & would be better if it is a S-chassis. You might want to upgrade to a bigger lug track for the powder :D

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
The Safaris have the same engine as the Touring LE and SLE

Safari L = 380/377 same as Touring LE
Safari Rally = 500/503 same as Touring SLE

it is the 90-94 Safari chassis that is horrible and heavy and parts would be hard to find

The SLE and LE Touring chassis was used 95-01,its lighter and has a longtrack

·
Registered
945 Posts
The Safaris have the same engine as the Touring LE and SLE

Safari L = 380/377 same as Touring LE
Safari Rally = 500/503 same as Touring SLE

it is the 90-94 Safari chassis that is horrible and heavy and parts would be hard to find

The SLE and LE Touring chassis was used 95-01,its lighter and has a longtrack[/b]

dude, you know too much :tongue:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
dude, you know too much :tongue:[/b]
Dude where's my car!!!! :lmao:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts