Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before I go out and snowcheck a new sled. I''m coming off a 02 xc 700 edge. I liked the power but always wanted to go faster(don''t ask why). It''s sold and now I''ve narrowed my search down to a new F7, ZR 900, or a REV. I''ve checked out the ZR 900 and find it fits me really well(6''2" 260lbs). It fits my riding style with the ammount of torque and speed. But I also like the F 7, I''ve sat on it and I didn''t mind the seating as it was indeed different from the ZR. I figure it''s a more aggressive style. I also like the REV and have climbed aboard one. It fits me fine and I like the styling(IMO), but I can''t seem to get used to the fact the the 800 is just about the same as my xc700. Like I stated earlier, I like to hit the trails at a good clip while having some friendly competition with my friends, but I also like to rip across a lake every chance I get. Some question about the F7: 1. How will the metal steering post studs hold up coming out of the plastic gas tank? 2. With the TSL not being in the F7, how will this effect the overall ride? 3. Will there be any type of grippers on the running board? 4. How will the front A-Arms hold up to the "Tabs" holding them? 5. Why isn''t Arctic Cat giving the 2yr. warranty with this sled? 6. Is there any truth to the prototypes having bad frames or engine problems?
I''m sorry for the long post but I use these post to gather as much info as I can in order to help me in my decisions. If you weed out some of the B.S. I''ve learned more on these forums than at any dealer. I really like the F7 and it''s new look and technology but dependability wins the race. Thanks.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm a die hard cat fan.I own an 01 ZR800 LEand love it.Here's my opinion on the new fire cat.I've been told that it's not going to be a great lake racer.So if that's what you want,forget it.Arctic Cat still doesn't know what they're doing with the suspension yet.Besides it's a first year sled.I wouldn't buy one.My advice would be to see what they are doing with the 900 next year and go that way.Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
to respond more sensibly... The firecat design has been on the table for about 5 years...Yes, there have been developments over the passed 5 years and they've also been added...but the meat and potatoes has been around for a while. They are changing the center of gravity ; and that's pretty heavy spit...Your arms are going to be dead tired at the end of HALF a day...

Arctic Cat didn't go too crazy on the design... there's actually more track on the ground than there was before. The suspension has less moving parts therefore less wear, meaning less chance of breakage...not that much design change there, either... They say they've revolutionized, but in actual fact they simply got off their duff and got down to some serious thinking. Look at the lineup... they shrunk it down....more focus... good thing...

·
Registered
47 Posts
i'm really not sure about all of your questions but the one thing i do know having been to previous AC shows is that the prototypes are not what you will see being produced.  these prototypes are thrown together fairly quickly in order to get them out to the public.  things always change by the time they roll out of the factory.

·
Registered
85 Posts
boo..Where are you getting your information?  In development for 5 years?  Cat has never worked on any sled design for five years!  More track on the ground?  It will be about 5% less track area on the snow but at 74 lbs less than than the ZR900 it will be unnoticeabe.  How can a sled that weighs 75 lbs less than the ZR900 steer so hard you are shot in half a day?  That's a bunch of nonsense!  No one who rides a Sno-Pro says they steer hard.  Not that much design change either.  What are you talking about!  The sled has 26% fewer parts than a ZR and is the most radical departure from conventional sled design ever introduced by a major manufacturer.  Your opinions are comming from left field when you look at the facts.......Craig, buy the ZR900.  For a guy your size the extra weight will not be a big factor and it may be a problem for the lighter F7.  The ZR900 is a proven platform and my firm belief is to pass on the first production year of a new sled.  I have bought first year sleds in the past and learned from my mistakes (this is my 31st year of riding).  I don't expect major problems, but I like to ride and wouldn't want to worry about typical first year problems, espically with a new engine design.  The added bonus of the 900 is they get better mileage than the 800's do and most likely will be faster than the F7.  Someone posted this morning on amsnow at the Yellowstone expo yesterday the ZR900 pulled away from the F7 after 100 mph.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Good point Fastcat800.  How many times did Hibbert break this year?
In comparing A-arms side-by-side, the Cat's look much stronger than the Doo's, IMO.  As far as the tabs on the Cat goes, if they weren't breaking or bending in SnoX, I wouldn't worry too much about them.  I haven't read any reports of that being a problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replys.  I've been told by alot of people to go with the ZR 900.  But I really like the F7 and it's new design.  I took a hard long look at one in Bedford ,N.H. and found a few concerns.  But overall I like it(F7).  It may not matter anyway, I just found out I need some more cat scans done in order to find out about the big "C'.  Wish me luck!  Craig

·
Registered
657 Posts
You're getting a little off topic.I say don't buy the F 7 first year sled and unless they've figured out what they're giving you as far as suspension goes I'd stear clear of it.My money's on the ZR 900.It's a proven platform so you know where you stand with it.I asked my dealer about the Firecat and he's not recomending it this year.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
ZR800, don't mention your dealers name here....I'm sure Cat would be interested in knowing he's recommending customers not to purchase the new F-sleds!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts