Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put my motor back in my sled and need to fill with coolant. The problem is that my primary clutch is off so i don't really want to run the motor. So if any of you have a way to purge the system without running the motor any help would be appreciatted.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would think running the motor with the primary off wouldnt be a problem, just dont rev it up.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help guys i forgot to mention that it idles at 4200 rpm normally so i'm afraid that it will try to rev thru the roof. Also by removing the thermostat will i need a new gasket.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You can fire the motor without the clutch.  Just make sure you don't give it too much throttle.  Overreving isn't a worry just as long as it doesn't go above 9,000rpm.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Do not run that engine without the drive clutch!!!! You will have a #### of a time pulling it over any way. You will have to pull it with two hands so that should tell you something. Your not even suppose to time the eng. without the drivebelt
on??
   -Auggie-

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Just lift the front end up about a foot off the ground (you'll have to set it on something) and fill the coolent as normal. Keep burping it every so often. After you have enough coolent in it you can start it up and top it off accordingly to pressurize the system.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everybody for all your help. I filled it up the system and ran the motor  for a couple minutes i just let it idle and it didn't want to rev high. The reason that the motor was out is that i broke a back motor mount. It was a good thing that i pulled the motor because i found that my intake boots were torn.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, I am suprised that the eng. wasn't hard to pull over. You should check your compression. I guess this is just my opinon but I would never run a snowmobile eng. with out the clutch. For example, would you run a car eng. without a harmonic balancer?? Have you reved up your eng. with the clutch on but without the drive belt? If you did (and almost everyone has) did you notice the bad vibs. Try holding onto the handle bars when you do that. Those viberations can not be good for the connecting rod and main bearings. Because a snowmobile eng. fires every 360 deg's (four strokes fire every 720 deg's) they are never in balance. Thats why they shake so much. Would you accept a car eng. that shook like that? Even Arctic's (3) cyl's have balance shafts. I won't even run my eng. above cl. engagement with out a drive belt on. The drive belt acts like a rubber dampner also. Anyhow 1greenmachine thats just my $.02

-Auggie-  

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The drive clutch has nothing to do with balance on the engine that is what the flywheel is for and yes you can run it with out the clutch but if you rev the motor it will rev much easier and go into over rev,but I have seen sled motors run over 13000 rpm with no imediate problems as long as they have oil to them.Also with the clutch removed it will have no effect on how hard it is to pull over the motor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts