Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on an Indy 400 since the beggining of summer and just got to ride it a week ago. When I got it there was basically just a chassis with the hood and bellypan. I've pieced it together with parts ranging from 1978 to 1998 and made a lot of stuff myself. It is an 83 indy 600 chassis with an 87 400 engine. Almost every bearing in the drivetrain has been replaced, the others were inspected and repacked with synthetic grease.

I completely rebuilt the engine with a good used crank, all new gaskets, and wisecos. I also did a little port work and put on 38mm carbs. Had to make a custom motor mount plate to fit the chassis and clutch set up.

[attachment=33242:engine.jpg]

I also re-worked the front suspension, widening the stance to 44 inches, it's now a lot more stable. I had to extend the radius rods and angle the trailing arms out, and had to make new shock mounts and lengthen the tie rods.

[attachment=33241:suspension.jpg]

I redid a seat from a 90 indy 500, made a seat cover and base board for it. Used vinyl paint and made a stencil to put the "Polaris" logo on.

[attachment=33246:seat1.jpg]
[attachment=33245:seat.jpg]

Made the hand guards and brackets from scratch, and painted them with Krylon fusion paint.

[attachment=33243:handguards.JPG]

I'm still working on getting the jetting and clutching tuned in, but it is drivable and has been running good. Rides awesome compared to my other sleds and has a lot of power.

[attachment=33244:indy1.JPG]

Some other things done to it,
-3 inch riser (homemade)
-hand and thumb warmers
-48 studs
-running board grips
-XCR handlebars
-6 inch carbides
-quad track drivers
-extra idler wheels on suspension
-temp. gauge

Also have to give a big thanks to XCR583, he was a lot of help in completing this thing. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
great job on the rebuild.again i wish i had that kind of patience.i love the seat many people try to redoo seats but it looks like carp.that seat looks original.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Pics dont do it justice!! Turned out really good!!

8954 12. Do you know what thats from? Did I ever tell ya about that?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks!

Pics dont do it justice!! Turned out really good!!

8954 12. Do you know what thats from? Did I ever tell ya about that?[/b]
no, I've been wondering about that for a while :lmao:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
great job

but good luck on keeping that 400 running good with 38 carbs

Might want to invest in Tempa Flow if you plan on keeping the 38s

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys.

but good luck on keeping that 400 running good with 38 carbs

Might want to invest in Tempa Flow if you plan on keeping the 38s[/b]
Ya, I don't mind having to rejet if the temperature changes too much though. I used the jetting specs from a 600 tripple as my baseline, from what I've heard the cylinder porting is very close to the 400. The carbs are from a TXL and I made sure everything is on the rich side, has a flat spot on the low end from being too rich. I've done plug chops and every throttle position has the plugs dark brown, so I still have to get it fine tuned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts