Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw my first Firecat this weekend up at Lewiston. I got a question. I was able to look this thing over for a while. What the heck is the ethanol switch for. Is that kinda like Polaris's switch for cheap gas. For one, that switch looks awfully cheap. The other thing was studding. I talked to the owner and he said clearance isn't the issue, like what was posted in another topic. He told me that the problem was there was only two small strips that you can get studs in and you have to get them almost perfect so you don't mess up the track. He told me the racers were running 1.5 in. studs and didn't ever hit.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Thats the nitrous switch. :D
I noticed that too. Looks like a good feature for if you are out in the boonies and can't find good gas. Probably adjusts the EFI and maybe timing??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Originally posted by Snow Monkey@Oct 7 2002, 05:38 PM
I believe the etahonal switch is used for oxygenated fuels!!!Runs a little richer(somewhat like increasing in jet size)
Yes, its for oxygenated fuels. Around here all of our fuel has MTBE additive in it. Its supposed to reduce emissions, but the only thing I think it does is reduce mileage.

As far as the studs, I have the 1.375" on my F7. From the looks of things, if in fact the 1.5" studs clear, its still gonna be really tight and no room for error. Mine only has a tunnel protector down the middle of the tunnel. There is ALOT of heat exhanger in the rear. I'm gonna wait on this one, let someone else ruin their heat exchanger and get stranded.

Just my .02 on this.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So isn't 1.375 the same length as the lug then? I guess it will still work and help since the lug will most likely bend over a little. I wonder how your hyfax will wear with that tall of a lug. Only time will tell I guess. Nice sled though. I'm jealous. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
133 Posts
GLS stated the the ethanol switch adds 3% more fuel when in the ethanol mode, thats it, no adjust to timing etc. maybe some engineer can tell me why add 3% more fuel, I know that you get poor mileage with ethanol so if you are adding 3% more while burning it, then your mileage will get worse yet?

·
Registered
48 Posts
This is the same question I asked last week,but didn't really get any answers. What my dealer decided to do is to add a thicker tunnel protecter strip inside the tunnel(pre 1998 zr style)I went with 1.450" picks in the track(96).They also have the template from woody's for proper spacing. Basically the track has 3 extra paddles,so 3 paddles will not have any pics on them for proper balance.It still isn't finished yet,so I'm wating to see the result.As soon as I bring it home,I will post pics!!! :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sabrecat, Looking forward to those pics, i am taking a wait and see on the studs, MN is not stud friendly right now , hope that changes as I want to stud the zl and the F7..

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Originally posted by czy42strokes@Oct 7 2002, 11:52 PM
MN is not stud friendly right now , hope that changes as I want to stud the zl and the F7..
What is the stud sticker going for now anyway? I had to get one a couple years ago and I think it was around $16 then and I heard it went up even more now. ??? Absolutely retarded in my opinion to make you pay to be safer, but that's a whole other topic!! :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
It did go up and I honestly do not know how much they are right now. The state widened and repaved the trails from walker mn to bemidji, It has been closed for the last couple of years over the stud ban on paved trails, I hope it has been resolved, I need to do some research on this issue before I invest it studs and find my sledding is limited to only certain trails. And Yes this can become a heated subject with valid points from both sides

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am planning to stud my track, but will continue to watch what they do in Minn. for studs. They are paving the trail from Fergus Falls to Alexandria now and pretty soon most major trails will be asphalt and the rollerbladers and bikers will continue to complain. Last I heard, the stud sticker was $35.00.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry guys....didn't know pics were such a problem in MN.I just wish the trails around here were paved!!!Do I have to worry about ripping up my tunnel with pis in this deep lug track,or am I just paranoid??? ???

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by sabrecat_f7@Oct 7 2002, 01:35 PM
Sorry guys....didn't know pics were such a problem in MN.??? ???
:withstupid:

I didn't either. I hear that you can run upto 1.5 in pics and still be safe. Its just the location that is key. I guess. Just what I hear.

·
Registered
166 Posts
For those of you with a 1" lug track, I was told that you can only run a 1.075 stud, but I was also told that a 1.075, 5/16" stud really has an overall length of 1.485". So once you put this in the track it only gives you a 0.300 to 0.330" of penetration beyond the 1" lug, which falls within the 3/8" or 0.375" max that should keep the heat exchanger safe. See http://www.wiem.com/studlength2.htm for a chart.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The ZR efi sleds have had an ethanol switch since at least 99 maybe longer. What it amounted to was unhooking a wire in the toolbox on top of the airbox. Ethanol is a dryer fuel which is why you would want to run more. I don't understand how you guys are getting worse mileage with ethanol. My entire family runs 10% ethanol here on the farm and when out sledding everyone in my group looks for it. We think we get better mileage and power with it. We really notice the difference in mileage and power in vehicles when we fill up somewhere else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts