Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd offer a few thoughts on my first ride of the season on my FX Nytro (standard).

I'll make it short and sweet, since the ride was just that.

We rode the Willow side of Hatcher's Pass here in Alaska. We put on about 35 miles, some trail, which was almost totally flat, and some powder, which was about 2 feet deep in some spots and this was on hills not swamps or tundra.

Low end kicked ### as I expected. Top end I don't know as I didn't do any lake runs or anything of that nature.

It handled very well and was very responsive at slower and higher speeds of 60-80mph, with the exception of some bad darting (the stock skis will be replaced on my sled by a pair of mountain skis for floatation and maybe to help with darting too).

Obviously, there was no jumping to be done, so time will tell for that.

Eventually, I may remove the tunnel protectors and put a 1.75" lugged track on it; still 121" though.

The ergos are incredible IMO. This is the first rider forward sled I have owned so maybe that's not such a huge deal, but for me it was sweet. I can tell that I'll easily be able to throw the sled around and it should be a blast in the deeper stuff (as I'm only 145lbs) and on the trail.

There wasn't much rough trail on this trip so I don't have a good idea on how well the sled will handle big moguls. I have the standard version; not the RTX. I would bet it will eat them up though, for the most part.

One last thing I wanted to mention, I was only down 3 bars on my fuel gauge after 35 miles of riding. I used premium for the first fillup. I rode probably half those miles in powder, and on the trail I varied RPM's and speeds between 30 and approximately 80mph. From my first estimations, depending on how fast you ride and how deep the snow is that you are in, this sled should get anywhere from 80-110 miles per tank.

Overall, I am wicked excited about the sled and can't wait to put on, hopefully around 3000 miles this winter

Have Fun,
Will

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I thought I'd offer a few thoughts on my first ride of the season on my FX Nytro (standard).

I'll make it short and sweet, since the ride was just that.

We rode the Willow side of Hatcher's Pass here in Alaska. We put on about 35 miles, some trail, which was almost totally flat, and some powder, which was about 2 feet deep in some spots and this was on hills not swamps or tundra.

Low end kicked ### as I expected. Top end I don't know as I didn't do any lake runs or anything of that nature.

It handled very well and was very responsive at slower and higher speeds of 60-80mph, with the exception of some bad darting (the stock skis will be replaced on my sled by a pair of mountain skis for floatation and maybe to help with darting too).

Obviously, there was no jumping to be done, so time will tell for that.

Eventually, I may remove the tunnel protectors and put a 1.75" lugged track on it; still 121" though.

The ergos are incredible IMO. This is the first rider forward sled I have owned so maybe that's not such a huge deal, but for me it was sweet. I can tell that I'll easily be able to throw the sled around and it should be a blast in the deeper stuff (as I'm only 145lbs) and on the trail.

There wasn't much rough trail on this trip so I don't have a good idea on how well the sled will handle big moguls. I have the standard version; not the RTX. I would bet it will eat them up though, for the most part.

One last thing I wanted to mention, I was only down 3 bars on my fuel gauge after 35 miles of riding. I used premium for the first fillup. I rode probably half those miles in powder, and on the trail I varied RPM's and speeds between 30 and approximately 80mph. From my first estimations, depending on how fast you ride and how deep the snow is that you are in, this sled should get anywhere from 80-110 miles per tank.

Overall, I am wicked excited about the sled and can't wait to put on, hopefully around 3000 miles this winter

Have Fun,
Will[/b]
congrades man on the sled, glad you like it. i would like to know more about how the rear suspension handles and returns. looking at it the FTA is high then i think iy should be so that why in curious. sounds to be a great seld though

·
Registered
47 Posts
Aces, how are the conditions in the pass? We went up 2 weeks ago and it was kinda minimal except for the road. Thinking about taking the Renegades up there this weekend or maybe to Petersville.... Time to ride :christmas:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Willow was not great, but good enough. If it doesn't snow this week up there it will be pretty tore up. The road had just enough snow and the hills had about 2 ft at most in spots. So there was rocks to be hit, but we didn't collect any.

And Petersville, I've heard is good, but you have to go way back past the roadhouse.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Was it a cold ride ? How is the wind protection ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was about 30 degrees F. So it wasn't that cold. I was sweating under my riding gear. It wasn't a cold ride, but then again it was not that cold out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts