Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of my sleddin buddies are having a debate over who was
the first sled manufac. with IFS.I said i would ask the experts on SW.Thanks

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Just my opinion, but wasn't it the TrailCat?  Think it was like '80 or '81.

A

·
0 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (JIM FRITCH @ Sep. 09, 2002, 11:22am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just my opinion, but wasn't it the TrailCat?  Think it was like '80 or '81.[/b][/quote]
I do believe you are correct.

·
Registered
757 Posts
If you're talking first production sled, yes it was the Trail Cat.  Although race teams were using using it in the early and mid 70's.  I believe the Unsers designed the first IFS front end for the early Alouette race sleds (73-74?).  I think the Indy RXL/TXL as well as the Cat Sno Pro's had it in the late 70's but those weren't considered production sleds.

·
Registered
708 Posts
YOU MAY WANT TO CHECK WITH VINTAGE GUYS ON THIS BUT I ONCE SAW AN ARTICLE ON A CHAPPAREL THAT HAD INDEPENDENT FRONT? NOT SURE IF IT WAS IN PRODUCTION.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Skidoo had a very rare a arm front suspention in the 70s i belive.  Ive never been able to find info on it on the net only reason i know it exsists is becasue I saw one pull up to me at a gas station, he told me about it, said it handled like crap and didnt work that well.  I also heard about it from someone else on this site so maybe they will come thru.

·
Registered
875 Posts
hey, I happen to have one!

its plated 12/78
not much left in this sled but suspension for sale if you need it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
That brings back memories...remember when my buddy's dad bought him one of those new.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys,keep the replies coming
All i remember is that i thought that polaris started using IFS on there oval race sleds in 77.I thought that others were using it before that though.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
79 trail cat first good ifs.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Gilles Villeneuve Designed and built an oval track racer with backing from Alouette in the early 70's. It had independent front end, twin tracks and a cockpit, not unlike a small formula car. He won the world championship several times with similar designs.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
If I remember correctly, we had this discusion before and it turned out to be something wierd like a Rupp or something that was the first to have it.  I could be way off, but that just stands out for some reason...haha

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I'll check my old sled mags. I'm sort of leaning towards Chapparel.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Those who have ever been in on one of my chatroom quizes should know this one!! From my secret sled trivia site....

When did the first IFS equipped sled appear?

Alouette had a IFS (Independent Front Suspension) on their factory twin-tracked sled in the early 70's and Polaris had a successful version on their RX-L oval racers in the mid 70's but the first successful consumer sled with a IFS was on the Arctic Cat Trail Cat in 1978. This low performance sled was relegated to also-ran when Polaris introduced the "modern" version in 1979 (1980 model) TX-L Indy. The term IFS is misleading since the old leaf spring sleds were actually independent also - they just didn't work worth a [email protected] The modern IFS, mislabeled, is actually dependent as the skis are connected (in most cases) with a sway bar.
So there you have it ;) The official first IFS sleds.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Chapparell was the first to introduce the IFS in a factory race sled. This was in the very early 1970's.
Next would have been Gilles Villeneuve and the Alloute twin tracker, followed by his Skiroule racer 2 seasons later.
An independant named Gordon Roudolph wa very active in this area, he later was an advisor to Polaris with the RXL race sled.
The first CONSUMER trail sled equipped with IFS would have been the 1979 TRAIL CAT. I had one, and enjoyed it very much. These were followed by the Polaris Indy's and the Yamaha SRV.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Originally posted by RonTOF@Apr 19 2003, 02:59 PM
The Chapparell was the first to introduce the IFS in a factory race sled. This was in the very early 1970's.
Next would have been Gilles Villeneuve and the Alloute twin tracker, followed by his Skiroule racer 2 seasons later.
An independant named Gordon Roudolph wa very active in this area, he later was an advisor to Polaris with the RXL race sled.
The first CONSUMER  trail sled equipped with IFS would have been the 1979 TRAIL CAT. I had one, and enjoyed it very much. These were followed by the Polaris Indy's and the Yamaha SRV.
Ron is correct, but I guess the real question is on what kind of sled? Racer? Production? or Other?

The first to use it was Ski-Doo back in 71 on a speed machine called the X-4R (picture below)

Next was Chapparell, factory racer. For production sled it was the Trail Cat

1 - 20 of 44 Posts