Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode my 99 670HO for the first time in Speculator, NY yesterday. Sled is new to me, so this was my first ride ever on this machine. The motor is really fantastic, only thing I'd like to change is the handling a bit. When I let off the throttle, the back end starts to slide around... quite drastically at times. Could have been due in part to the conditions (6 inches of new snow on top of about 4 inches of hard pack). I put 144 studs and 8 inch carbides on it. Any suggestions for the suspension set-up to eliminate the back sliding around when letting off throttle ?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

·
Registered
161 Posts
hey mike...they got snow up in speculator?...i live in saratoga,..i took a ride out there last sat. i know a guy that lives in benson..me and a buddy are gonna join a club this year out there and ride there as much as possible...only like an hour away..sorry for getting off your setup subject...i cant really help you there....just cool to see someone from close by

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotspeed.... I live on Ballston Lake (Saratoga County). Couldn't wait any longer to try out the new ride so I went up figuring to ride 5 or 10 miles. Got in 50 miles and the conditions were nice. Met two guys with new REV 600 HO's when unloading and rode with them for a little while. To all who bought those, they are really nice sleds and sound awesome. I was riding at night because I didn't want to bother the deer hunters. Deer season ends Dec. 1, so it will be day riding next time.

·
Registered
161 Posts
btw...am anxious to try out my new REV....i was considering trailering up to tug hill tomorrow afternoon, but if speculator would be ok, id ride there instead...lot less driving :).....think it'd be worth riding there tomorrow, and where did u unload...somewhere off 30?...thank mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dropped at the Mason Lake parking area... if you're not familiar with that, it's on the side of Rte. 30 about 7 or so miles north of the village. It's on left hand side as you are heading north. I broke the trail behind gaurd rail there that leads to the trail. (The REV guys flew down the road cause there was enough snow :) ) I may be up there tomorrow afternoon (Sunday) again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Mike670HO this is a common problem in these conditions. Lets assume your sled has no mechanical problems. If you adjust your ridding style a bit this swapping effect can nearly be eliminated. Rather than chopping the throttle when approaching a corner keep it on just enough to keep the clutches loaded and smoothly drag the brake. If done correctly the track will not lock up and you can modulate the brake to maintain control. Like any new skill it takes practice.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I aggree with DotheDoo. Use your brake to slow the track instead of snapping off the trigger. You'll soon get the feel for your HO and won't even notice the prob.
Also, your way under studded (and over carbided up front)
You need at least 192 studs in that HO.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got back from riding again today. Mostly very hard packed snow with about 1-2 inches powder on top. Was doing exactly as you suggested and had no problems. Thanks for the advice. 144 studs is plenty, only thing I need to try now is the limiter strap to help a little with the inside ski lift.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mike let me know what setup works with your HO. I want to try and level it out a little more in the corners. Maybe letting it out a couple holes, but I haven't tried yet.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will do Jbird. I'm going to try tightening the strap a bit. Didn't do it trail side because it was just too darn cold out there . This 670HO motor really pulls hard and with hard pack and ice was pulling the skis up constantly. No idea what top end is, as the trails I'm on won't allow it. Once the lake in front of my house freezes I'll get around to playing with the clutching a bit.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
All you ppl should just leave all your sleds stock and quit worrying about "clutching" it or tuning the carbs. Just drive it stock, it will run better that way because thats the way the manufacturer put it and they put it that way for a reason! :SWRules:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmmm.... then why did they put all those adjustments on there ? The stock clutch is adjustable for tuning max rpm. The ACM, limiter strap, and shock pre-load are all adjustable for rider weight and riding conditions. Won't bother with the carbs since this has DPM.

·
Registered
624 Posts
All you ppl should just leave all your sleds stock and quit worrying about "clutching" it or tuning the carbs. Just drive it stock, it will run better that way because thats the way the manufacturer put it and they put it that way for a reason! ::

Does that include the "Stock" 170 pound rider? The "Stock" -20 degrees F operating temperature too? And what altitude is "Stock" anyway? :withstupid:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I agree. I don't think there has ever been a stock riding condition (maybe in a perfect world). There are so many variables that need to be adjusted or tweaked not only for better performance, but for safety. No one wants added ski lift in the corners only to lose control and move into on coming traffic even at moderate speeds

1 - 16 of 16 Posts