1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well December will be closing in on us and for those of us who just
gotta get out there, whats it gonna take for you to hop on your
SLeD for the 1st time this season and ride! I've always had this
saying... 8" in the bare minimum for me to head north and ride!
And for me its usually a 4hr drive up to good decent snow! The
2nd weekend in Dec. has been the norm lately. -Dave

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I REALLY pity people who have to drive to ride. Living here in North Bay the first few weeks of the season usually consist of a 10-15 minute drive out to Redbridge. Every time I do I think "this is nuts, driving that far just to go for a quick blast in marginal conditions". For the bulk of the season I leave right from work, where I keep my sled.
Two or three times a week I'll knock off an hour early and go for an evening ride.
On the weekends it's a short drive from home to the shop and I'm gone all day without the sled ever seeing the back of a truck.

Still doesn't compare to Newfoundland where I would normally leave right from home, except for a week at either end of the season, when I'd have to drive for 10 minutes at the most.

So, in answer to your question, I need enough snow to cover most of the rocks, and ideally enough to keeps the carbides from cutting to the dirt.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Probably going to go for a ride next weekend, or the one after that. :D

·
Registered
903 Posts
Depends on the type of snow. 6" of heavy snow is fine. 6" of fluff is worthless.

·
Registered
361 Posts
my new sled doesnt come out unless theres at least 6" of relatively rideable snow, we've got some old iron for the anything less......

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I REALLY pity people who have to drive to ride. Living here in North Bay the first few weeks of the season usually consist of a 10-15 minute drive out to Redbridge. Every time I do I think "this is nuts, driving that far just to go for a quick blast in marginal conditions". For the bulk of the season I leave right from work, where I keep my sled.
Two or three times a week I'll knock off an hour early and go for an evening ride.
On the weekends it's a short drive from home to the shop and I'm gone all day without the sled ever seeing the back of a truck.

Still doesn't compare to Newfoundland where I would normally leave right from home, except for a week at either end of the season, when I'd have to drive for 10 minutes at the most.

So, in answer to your question, I need enough snow to cover most of the rocks, and ideally enough to keeps the carbides from cutting to the dirt.[/b]
Yeah you got it made NewfieBullet! Must be nice! :thumbsup:
Better make sure those rocks are buried! :tongue: A foot plus for you buddy!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Last year on Oct. 10th I drove up the mtn. and searched for snow. I found about 6". Skies kept hitting the rocks. So loaded up and found a water hole.

I guess it depends on how excited I am, If it is december and I have a new sled, well I don't care if there is 3" or 3'!
I am riding!

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
8 inches is good

Snow4

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well December will be closing in on us and for those of us who just
gotta get out there, whats it gonna take for you to hop on your
SLeD for the 1st time this season and ride! I've always had this
saying... 8" in the bare minimum for me to head north and ride!
And for me its usually a 4hr drive up to good decent snow! The
2nd weekend in Dec. has been the norm lately. -Dave[/b]
I voted 10" but it depends.

Last year we went when they got 12" of lake effect 2 days after it was 70 degrees..........BAD!! Brand new hyfax, brand new carbides.....gone in one ride!! I won't do that again no matter how bad I want to ride.

If the ground is frozen and the snow has enough moisture content I'd say 10" is a good start and worthy of riding on.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I voted 10" but it depends.

Last year we went when they got 12" of lake effect 2 days after it was 70 degrees..........BAD!! Brand new hyfax, brand new carbides.....gone in one ride!! I won't do that again no matter how bad I want to ride.

If the ground is frozen and the snow has enough moisture content I'd say 10" is a good start and worthy of riding on.[/b]
:thumbsup: My thoughts exactly... we did the same thing last year!

·
700CADILLAC
105 Posts
I know that shd needs enough to do (circles) before he will go. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I'll ride when there is a good 8 in. Just need a good base under it though. I hope the snow is better this season, compared to last season. :lookaround:

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I know that shd needs enough to do (circles) before he will go. :thumbsup:[/b]
And didn't SHD say he would ride on 8 inches, not very many circles can be done in 8 inches :lookaround: :wink:

For me its a minimum of 12" to take a road trip. Probably around 6" for just a rip around the house.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
dad's rule of thumb was 6". I voted 4" since this year is the first year i actually own a sled. Ill probably to a few laps around the yard before the snow hits to make sure every thing is working properly after i get it back together.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I picked 8"

Rick :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts