Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I finally finished up the long track conversion and took the sled for a quick ride down from my shop down to the Portage, a 25 mile round trip. I'm surprised at how much snow it out there, and the trails are in about the same condition they were the end of January last year. If we don't get hit with a major mild spell I think we're going to have a very good year indeed.

It did me a world of good to get out for a ride, and I was surprised how quickly I felt at home on the sled again. The IQ chassis really is an ergonomic marvel, with everything feeling like it's exactly where it should be.

I do have a new riser on the sled this year though, and that took a little getting used to. It's two inches taller then the already tall stock Dragon setup, and I think if I was heading out for a multiday ride on groomed trails I would go back to stock, but for the very rough, early season conditions we have right now it was nice.

I'm out of shape though! 10 miles down to the Portage and I was winded. 15 miles for the alternate route back, and I feel like I had quite the workout. I need to get out there and pound moguls every day for the next few weeks to get back in shape.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Glad to hear you got out newfie. I wont be back up home untill this friday these exams in college really take time outa the sledding..lol. Are they grooming any of the trails yet. Im from Trout Creek and was just wondering if they have groomed the D trail or anything yet. We should hook up one day and go for a rip. Can't wait to get home and enjoy the snow.

grant.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
First time out this weekend for me too. Pretty impressed with the new Yammie. Lot of sorting out to do - and learning how to stay on a rider forward design with both skis in contact with the snow. 150 mile weekend reminded me of a lot of first rides where I came home the same way - reaching for the muscle relaxers. Looking forward to the next time already though.... and I won't be quite as sore coming in from that one. -Al

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to hear you got out newfie. I wont be back up home untill this friday these exams in college really take time outa the sledding..lol. Are they grooming any of the trails yet. Im from Trout Creek and was just wondering if they have groomed the D trail or anything yet. We should hook up one day and go for a rip. Can't wait to get home and enjoy the snow.

grant.[/b]
Hey Grant,
I know the Fish Hatchery Road in Redbridge is groomed, but nothing close to North Bay yet. I don't imaine they're start grooming the A/D until Trout Lake is safe to ride on. Grooming to the Lake would just encourage people to cross it when they really shouldn't.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Yeah thats a good point. Are the lakes froze over yet?. I heard there was like 6 inches in Callendar Bay on Nipp but it always freezes first. I also heard talk of some of the fishing outfitters wanting to be on Nippising just after boxing day. Sounds a little risky to me but I haven't been home in awhile.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lakes are frozen, but far from safe yet. It won't be long though.

I'd lay money people will be fishing on Nipissing well before Christmas.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Good to hear you got out Newfie :thumbsup:

I have a question for you. You mentioned you got a new riser set up this year which took a bit of getting used too. You also mentioned you would probably go back to stock if you were going to do a multiday of riding groomed trails. Could you elaborate on this a little more?

The reason I ask is because this year I will be going to a 3 inch rise from last year and I'm looking for any comments on the ride ect...

Snow4

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good to hear you got out Newfie :thumbsup:

I have a question for you. You mentioned you got a new riser set up this year which took a bit of getting used too. You also mentioned you would probably go back to stock if you were going to do a multiday of riding groomed trails. Could you elaborate on this a little more?

The reason I ask is because this year I will be going to a 3 inch rise from last year and I'm looking for any comments on the ride ect...

Snow4[/b]
No problem.
The Dragon came stock with pretty high bars, but for constant standing up, and for playing off trail, I thought I could use a bit more height and leverage, so I went two inches higher then stock. Now when standing my arms have a comfortable bend, and I can lean side to side while standing more easily.
However, sitting down the bars are high, no doubt. Roughly at chest level. So for local riding, when I know I'm going to be hitting the ditches, ungroomed trails, and (hopefully if we get lots of snow this year) the power lines the riser makes sense. If trails are nicely groomed, or if I was heading out on a long distance trip and knew I was going to be sitting down most of the time, the new riser would be over kill, and I'd be more comfortable with the old one.

Who knows though, once I get used to the new one I might not think about switching back.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I do have a new riser on the sled this year though, and that took a little getting used to. It's two inches taller then the already tall stock Dragon setup, and I think if I was heading out for a multiday ride on groomed trails I would go back to stock, but for the very rough, early season conditions we have right now it was nice.

Newf,

Maybe a Rox quick adjustable riser is the answer since conditions change faster than we do.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe a Rox quick adjustable riser is the answer since conditions change faster than we do.[/b]
That might be the answer. I'm not interested in adjusting the bars back and forth, but up and down would be cool for sure.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
guys im 5 foot 7 and run high riser then then most tall people. it really dpendso n what is comfortible to you. on run a 6 inch blcok on the 03 prox with the regualr steering post with the rider forward block in it. thisi s with snox bars. this is arm slightly bend probably aroudn 30% elbow. on the 04 with the rider forward steering post i have a 2.5 inch rise with fly bars that had another 3 inches of rise. this i have more like a 60% elbow bend. i really like that setup but i stand up all the time.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
No problem.
The Dragon came stock with pretty high bars, but for constant standing up, and for playing off trail, I thought I could use a bit more height and leverage, so I went two inches higher then stock. Now when standing my arms have a comfortable bend, and I can lean side to side while standing more easily.
However, sitting down the bars are high, no doubt. Roughly at chest level. So for local riding, when I know I'm going to be hitting the ditches, ungroomed trails, and (hopefully if we get lots of snow this year) the power lines the riser makes sense. If trails are nicely groomed, or if I was heading out on a long distance trip and knew I was going to be sitting down most of the time, the new riser would be over kill, and I'd be more comfortable with the old one.

Who knows though, once I get used to the new one I might not think about switching back.[/b]
Thanks for the reply. It is kind of what I figured you might say. This was one of my biggest concerns with going with a riser, however I found myself standing more and more last year and I knew a riser would make it that much more comfortable so I wasn't hunched over so much. I kept my stock bar and went with a 3 inch riser which I hope is not too much for when I am sitting. I think I"m going to be alright it's not as high as I think yours is while sitting.

Snow4

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I got 36miles on my 1st ride

it was great for the most part,1st one on the trail on one section :)

ran the last 5miles on one cylinder though :p

You would not believe what the guys on HCS Ontario forym did for me

I told them no 3 times but they still did it,I believe there was a couple of SW members involved also

Attachments

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got 36miles on my 1st ride

it was great for the most part,1st one on the trail on one section :)

ran the last 5miles on one cylinder though :p

You would not believe what the guys on HCS Ontario forym did for me

I told them no 3 times but they still did it,I believe there was a couple of SW members involved also[/b]
You've got me in suspense. What did they do for you?

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
go look

they started a fund to rebuild my engine :D

·
Registered
443 Posts
thats such a awesome thing they're doing, they raised over 1000 dollars for you to get back up and running. and the left over money is going to a awesome charity.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
thats such a awesome thing they're doing, they raised over 1000 dollars for you to get back up and running. and the left over money is going to a awesome charity.[/b]

No matter what color sled people choose, sleddin' folks just absolutely rock!! :christmas:

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the reply. It is kind of what I figured you might say. This was one of my biggest concerns with going with a riser, however I found myself standing more and more last year and I knew a riser would make it that much more comfortable so I wasn't hunched over so much. I kept my stock bar and went with a 3 inch riser which I hope is not too much for when I am sitting. I think I"m going to be alright it's not as high as I think yours is while sitting.

Snow4[/b]
Hi there,
So the good news is, I'm already used to the riser and loving it, even on a ride where I can manage to sit down fairly often. Didn't take long at all.
It does make it hard to see the guages, but who really needs to look at a speedometer?

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Hi there,
So the good news is, I'm already used to the riser and loving it, even on a ride where I can manage to sit down fairly often. Didn't take long at all.
It does make it hard to see the guages, but who really needs to look at a speedometer?[/b]
I'm happy to hear your getting used to it so fast, that's a good indication of what I can expect.

Snow4

1 - 20 of 20 Posts