Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to take it out for a short spin this evening. Put about 40 miles on my XCR 600 that I picked up Friday.

First impressions? It's needs a bit of fine tuning, but I think I'm going to like it.
It needs a clutch (which I knew) and maybe some jetting work, but it pulls hard and strong to about 90mph, and then creepes up to 100 or so. Feels a little groggy off the bottom end. Not sure if it's a result of the clutching, jetting, or even just the way the suspension works, but there doesn't seem to be as much snap as I had hoped for. I'm used to a 97 Cougar with a deep lug track, 13.5 inches of travel, and perfectly dialed in clutching and jetting, and at trail speeds it felt much more responsive, thought part of that feeling was from the weight transfer I'm sure.

The biggest thing that will take getting used to is the seating position and handle bars. Actually, I'm going to lose the bars, even before I get plastic skies I have to put on a set of bars that higher and flatter.

And how do you Polaris guys live with those tiny footwells? I can barely get my feet in there. Does any one know a way to make them bigger?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I have had two older indys and in order to get the best snap you need to do some clutch work, it will make a night and day difference.  Oh yea and i had to lean out my XLT triple because the with the stock jetting it was smutting plugs bad, and after that it made a big difference, and Make sure your clutch is perfectly in line because my xlt was off a tad and it used to shred belts and you know what that will doo for performance. And just bend your toe holds back a bit thats what i done and it was fine.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks jwheeler.
Are you from Newfoundland?

I'm thinking I'm going to have to get a smaller pair of boots, cause I have a hard time jamming my feet in the toe holds.

I took the bars off, put them in a vice and straightened them out, which is alot better, but I still need to get a set of riser blocks.
I also tightened up the spring on the secondary, which made things a bit better. It still seems a bit groggy on the bottom end though.
I will definatly be doing some clutch and jetting work for next year.

After putting a couple of hundred miles on the sled I'm really starting to like it. It stays wonderfully flat in corners, handles nice, and the harder you push it the better it rides.
Can't wait for next winter!

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
newfiebullet,
 i posted this in the general forum but figure you will answer here.

how long have you lived in garson ? i have a friend that lives there that married a newfie his name is mike morrow. so long meebye.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Newfiebullet, yea im from Corner Brook Newfoundland.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey,
I've lived in Garson for two years, but i don't know Mike. At least I don't think so. Does he Have a quad or a ski-doo?

Jwheeler, do you get out to Camp 7 very often? How's the ski-dooing this winter? I'm from Stephenville. I was actually home in December and January and did a lot of riding, even if there wasn't alot of snow then.
I guess you can still go ski-dooing now.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
newfiebullet,
 mike has some kind of an old sno-turd, real good guy lives at 72 gordon street.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Newfiebullet i drop in at camp 7 almost every weekend for a couple beer and the trails were great but didint get really good untill the end of january or so.  We are going out to lewis hills tomorrow and i guess we will drop in for a beer or two at gallants, i will try to get some pics to post for ya.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey that would be great! THough it will surely make me kind of home sick.
Is there still lots of snow? I know my buddies are still going to the camp every weekend. I've got friends with camps on 38, and on Roundpot.
Did they do much grooming this year?
Hey, how about the races in at Marble? Did you go see them? I was actually racing there in January, but I know that was small potatoes compared to the April races.

Hopefully I'll get home next winter for some riding, but it's a looonnnngggg drive  

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I raced in january, but i didint race last weekends "race the rock" Because i have a messed up knee, but alot of my buddys raced in the uphill drag and sno cross actually my brother raced my mxz for me, it was an awsome weekend.  Cory mclean took king of the hill again on that 97 ZRT with the 1400cc genisis but he had a lot more compitition this year.  What did you race in january because i have it all on tape and i will watch it to try and pick you out.  They kept the trails groomed pretty good this year but they said trail sticker sales were still not that great.  They havent groomed now for about a week so i guess thats it for this year and the snow is getting pretty rotten now so the best is behind us for another year.
 I will let you know how it is tomorrow.  i was in as far as georges lake a couple days ago and its starting to get pretty bumpy now and the snow is like sand.  but it was a good year, lewis hills was awsome this year too!!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was riding a black 02 ZR500 Cross Country. I didn't qualify in the 500 class, but I did get a second race in the 600 class. I had a good time though.
Have a good time in the hills! How's your machine for climbing?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Here are some pics from race the rock Newfiebullet.  This is a 97 ZRT, not sure what mods he had done but it could really move.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
overlooking Base of Marble Mountain.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Corey McLean on his Rocket ZRT, 1400 Genisis, you know the one, Well he took king of the hill again this year on it.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
A pic of the pit area with groomer and lodge in the back.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey thanks alot!
How was the ride this weekend?
I had a nice ride this weekend too, though we were riding quads! There's still snow here, but it's not good snowmobiling now. Actually, after teh last two days there's not much left at all.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I didint get to ride last weekend because it poured down rain, so i will be soon riding quad as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts