Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I got my first sled, its a 2001 zr500, sure enough the 4th time I try and start it the rope snaps and goes inside. Now I have to change it. It doesn't sound like a tough job, I have rebuilt my cr125 dirtbike top to bottom. anyways I was just asking if it is tough like with the stupid spring in there and if you have any tips

Thanks Ben

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
From what I remeber its not to tought to do. I don't think you even have to take the spring part apart. So do you have a carb or efi 500. Thats a nice sled I have a 00zr500carb. If you have any specific questions about the 500 I know my way around the 500 farely well.

·
Registered
959 Posts
no its not a hard job at all it takes me about 15 min to do that one but if you got a buddy you may want him to help after you take all the bolts out take the cover off slowly cuz if the spring snaps out it can be a real pain in the "6" then just feed the string back through .. if the spring didnet unwind.. if it did then your gonna have to rewind it and then put the string back in.. it sounds harder then it is i had to do it in -10 degrees and it took me about 20 min so its not that hard

good luckk
and nice sled hope you have fun on it :thumbsup:

SWRules

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yeah what every one else said.. And congradulations on buying CAT! I think your gonna love your new sled. Make sure all your shocks are in good shape if your gonna do some hard riding on bumps and stuff.. You won't regret it. Where u gonna be riding?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i live near kitchener ontario, the guys I ride with have 500 acres and i got a permit from science hill, actually I do have a question about the 500 to stiffen the rear suspension you just have to crank up the thing on the spring right? just like the front??? and studs,???!!? how many do you think

thanks Ben
btw its the carb model

·
Registered
884 Posts
Ben, the thing you are talking about is the Triangle Cam, correct? If so, yes, just turn it to a stiffer setting. If you are talking about the Front Shock in the Skid Frame, then all you do is put more tension on the spring by turning it in and tightening up. Make sure you have both Cams on the same setting though, if they are on different settings, the sled will take off to the direction of the softer setting making you come out of the hole at an angle. SWRules

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Originally posted by catrules2000@Oct 3 2002, 03:47 AM
Ben, the thing you are talking about is the Triangle Cam, correct? If so, yes, just turn it to a stiffer setting. If you are talking about the Front Shock in the Skid Frame, then all you do is put more tension on the spring by turning it in and tightening up. Make sure you have both Cams on the same setting though, if they are on different settings, the sled will take off to the direction of the softer setting making you come out of the hole at an angle. SWRules
They claim you can set them different now from side to side. I think we had this disscussion last year. Another thing though. Make sure you adjust that came in one direction only. If you go backwards, it'll break. I can't remember direction off hand. I can only do it if I look at it. I think you have to go from small to big. Unless of course you are on the biggest (stiffest setting) then you will be going back to the lowest. Read the manual if you have one. They tell you how.

·
Registered
70 Posts
ben: My advice to you is to spend the $40 on a set of aluminum spring adjusters. You can get them from your dealer or through several aftermarket companies. The plastic ones have a tendency to break and/or strip when using the spark plug wrench to turn them. The different colors look cool too! You will love your new sled. Arctic Cat has a very hot 500 when compared to other brands. Make sure when adjusting the ski springs to get both sides the same or the sled may dart on you. I use a tape measure to measure the amount of threads showing below the spring retainer. Ditto to ZR006catman's mention about the shocks. Make sure they are in good shape. God I wish it would snow!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i fixed the started but still a little confused about the suspension the front is fine but the back is soft, so i just crank up the spring?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I think there is a little confusion as to what adjuster were talking about. I figured a picture is the best way to make sure were all on the same page. The things circled in red are the blocks that you want to adjust. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys its all good now and i just put some nice new carbides on that I got for free so where is the snow/????? :cussing:

·
Registered
959 Posts
good question.. when you find it let us know so we can beat you there!!

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
We can help you with a lot of things around here but the snow comes from a higher forum moderator... hahaha. In the mean time consider us a support group

·
Registered
27 Posts
hey ZR500 where did you find the cat micro fiche. Please let me know that comes in handy on lots of things.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts