Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, im a old , new sledder, what is your ideas of the best or good machine for just ice fishing and bush riding, im not a speed demon but want a dependable machine, thanks ray, all opinons wellcome????

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Welcome aboard!!!!

Are you looking for a new or used sled, and do you have a price range in mind?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im looking for something in the 2000 year model or newer, no real price range, just want something dependable, either 2 or 4 stroke.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't know if they made them in 2000+ but ya can't beat a Tundra for just tootin around in the bush or going across the lake to fish. They aren't a real speed demon as they only have a 250cc single in them but they are good on gas and oil and are a pretty dependable machine and they are nice and light as well. Another good one would be a Bravo. They are on the same level as the Tundra but I don't think they are quite as tippy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't know if they made them in 2000+ but ya can't beat a Tundra for just tootin around in the bush or going across the lake to fish. They aren't a real speed demon as they only have a 250cc single in them but they are good on gas and oil and are a pretty dependable machine and they are nice and light as well. Another good one would be a Bravo. They are on the same level as the Tundra but I don't think they are quite as tippy.[/b]
I agree, both the tundra and bravo sound good. In Canada a 2008 bravo has a MSRP of $4600, not a bad deal, imo. I've had nothing but good experiences on them, they are great in the snow, light if you get stuck, very dependable, cheap to insure/drive. etc etc...

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Sounds like fan cooled is the way to go for you, lower initial purchase price and lighter.
Best advice I can give is to purchase the newest sled you could afford as the strides in technology and suspensions with every new model year are staggering!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like fan cooled is the way to go for you, lower initial purchase price and lighter.
Best advice I can give is to purchase the newest sled you could afford as the strides in technology and suspensions with every new model year are staggering![/b]

not to mention fan cooled sleds won't over heat if you are just putting around the bush or are driving on hard crust or ice.

·
10,054 Posts
we have an 03 z370 here and we love the thing,,, its bullet proof, runs all the time, you can have a ball on it, its fan cooled, it wasnt expensive,,, just wish it was a little faster somtimes,,, but I wouldnt be afraid to buy another one,,,

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Skandic 380 or 500/550

Indy Trail RMK

Venture XL fan

would be my choices for waht you would want

all lightweight fancooled with 136 tracks and relieble engines

·
Registered
50 Posts
We have a Skandic 380 and for just ice fishing and puttering through the bush I would trade it for a tundra in a heartbeat. The Skandic is not that light in fact it's pretty heavy. I'm afraid to take it off trail if the snow is too deep because it's a pita to dig out. Also IMO it's geard too high, there isn't the bottom end grunt you'd expect from a work machine.

·
Registered
158 Posts
For ice fishing i have a 98 skandic super wide track this sled will go any place you would ever care to go.While breaking trail with this sled my freinds cant even fallow my track without getting stuck. With its 152x24 inch track it will float on the snow and it has a low gear witch is great for pulling heavy loads, i dont think i would trad this sled for nothing elts. The secondary sled we have for ice fishing is a touring e 380 great on gas but not the best trial breaker.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I agree, both the tundra and bravo sound good. In Canada a 2008 bravo has a MSRP of $4600, not a bad deal, imo. I've had nothing but good experiences on them, they are great in the snow, light if you get stuck, very dependable, cheap to insure/drive. etc etc...[/b]
they still make bravos? :huh:

·
Registered
50 Posts
boogie......thats the skandic I wish we had.....I agree that they are awsome for breaking trail and pulling and general work as I've seen one in action, but unfourtuneatly we have a narrow tracked high geared version. Accually it more resembles a safari than a skandic. POS IMO. If he can find a SWT Skandic then ya it would be a good one as weight really wouldn't be an issue as you have to try pretty hard to get it stuck.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Skandic 380 or 500/550

Indy Trail RMK

Venture XL fan

would be my choices for waht you would want

all lightweight fancooled with 136 tracks and relieble engines[/b]
Good choices, but I would add the bearcat 440 and an Indy Widetrack. The Indy is not fancooled, but it's an awesome utility machine. The Bearcat is a really good dependable sled too.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
We have a Skandic 380 and for just ice fishing and puttering through the bush I would trade it for a tundra in a heartbeat. The Skandic is not that light in fact it's pretty heavy. I'm afraid to take it off trail if the snow is too deep because it's a pita to dig out. Also IMO it's geard too high, there isn't the bottom end grunt you'd expect from a work machine.[/b]
YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT A DIFERENT SLED

You are talking about the 93-94 Skandic 377 which is based on the HEAVY 90-94 POS Safari chassis that was NO good in snow 500lbs + behemoth

I am talking about the newer 02 and up 380 Skandics in the ZX chassis that weighs 430lbs roughly and the S chassis 95-01

BIG DIFERENCE

Touring 380/440 can be added too as they are basically Skandics with electric start

·
Registered
293 Posts
Your options are almost endless, every manufacturer makes a good all around fishing sled..In my opion I wouldn't get anything smaller then a 440. If you get into any type of slush ( and If you fish lots you will know what I mean) you need something with some snot that will get you out of there...I loved my Phazer Long track just for that reason..I have seen many Tundra's, Bravos go down because they run out of steam...Gook luck with your pick...........

·
Registered
657 Posts
That's an AWEFULLY expensive price for technology that's been around for 20 years. I don't care if it is new. It also makes them a hypocryte when trying to convince people to buy 4-strokes, yet they claim their reliable sled is a 2-stroke. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts