Snowmobile World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I got a lot of useful hints on how to track down the lousy mileage on my 500 RMK and I've done almost everything you guys have suggested.

The last thing I need to check is the level on the floats

I had a freind come by and look and he said he thinks they are letting too much gas in

These are the all plastic floats (brass valve inside)

I thought I read someplace that you bend that little tab in the center to adjust them but it doesn't seem to bend much or "stay changed"

Should I be trying to bend the arms on each side instead?

I want to make it so the floats have to travel LESS to shut off the flow of gas (as it is running rich even though it has the proper jets and the needle setting is correct)

Thanks!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a factory set spec the float levels must be set at[/b]
I'm sure there is but what I've read in the past in articles is that they should be "level" ......

but my question is how to adjust that level?????

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm going to throw another possibility at you. I don't know how your rig runs, however, if the way the engine runs is less than it should be, it might be something other than the carbs too. A friend who has a 500 RMK from that year or very close had nothing but trouble with his. It siezed on him one morning during warm-up after the previous day's run of around 70 miles. It was very low miles at the time. I know he was concerned about carburetion then and tried to fix things that way, finally even sending his engine back to the dealer from whom he bought it for a "look-see." The dealer could find nothing wrong, charged him for the "look-over" since the carb settings had been changed some and returned it "in A-OK" condition. It wasn't and didn't run well.

I went over things like clutch - it was working well, moving smoothly, no noticable wear, etc.

We checked the piston throws to make sure they were in spec. They measured off of 180 degrees by a readily measured amount. He opted to replace the crankshaft and put $900 in that. Slightly better performance but still not right. The machine sat for most of a couple of years without running much at all. He finally sent the engine off again to another dealer - after talking to them about his issues with it. They went over everything carefully, found his cylinders out of round - remember this is with low miles so not worn that way. They rebored for him, replaced pistons, rings, etc. He had to pay but the cost was fair considering. He never got anything under warranty - and it was warranty deal from the start. Apparently his wasn't the only such 500 Liberty with that problem - and the second dealer knew about the problem and was willing to help. Service after the sale - or even when no sale was involved- can mean an awful lot. Guess who he thinks highly of - and doesn't?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts