Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the NWC website and was just wondering if you could answer me a question?
What's the difference between the Sport 500 class and the Trail Sport class? I have an idea, but not totally sure.
I see it looks like the Trail Sport class is an Open class and Kevin Myer (any relation?) took second on a 440 in one of the races. Is there a lot of riding skill involved in those races, where big cc's don't make up for it, like in sno-x?
Thanks in advance. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Trail Sport is basically a beginner class for people that have never raced before. That is what I raced two years ago to see if I liked it and I ran on my '01 Pro X 440. Some of the tracks were great for the 440 race sleds and a couple benefited the big sleds. I did 3 races that year and took a 2nd, 3rd, and 6th. The one that I took sixth in was 1 mile straights with long sweeping turns and most of us were averaging about 90 - 100 mph on the starights. That is were the big sleds dominated but most of the tracks weren't like that. I took 2nd in my first race and that was unstudded and 6" of carbides and the one I tooked 3rd in I started in the 19th row and limped across the line in row 6 and finished third in my class. I broke a carb float level tab so my sled would flood out on every big jump. I lost by just over a minute and when it happened I had about 2 1/2 minute lead in my class so I was bumbed.
They usually run a couple of classes together on the track at the same time. It is a race against the clock and you start in flights of three. The majority of the races were on a 8 mile course over lakes and rivers and if there was plenty of snow it would almost be like a snocross race but 40 miles long. Now they have bumped the races up to 100 miles and have a mandatory pitstop. I didn't run any of the Terrain X races last year because I was concentrating on sno-x but I am going to try to make time for them this year because they are a lot of fun. The 100 mile events I believe are the points races but they also run a 35 or 40 mile sprint race that isn't a points race.

Hope this helps you out and maybe see you at one of the races!!  

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll be able to get my friend to enter a race with me (I'm thinking the UP race). Maybe we'll meet up this winter.?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I will be at all the snocross races and will try to run all the terrain x races with NWC this winter. Check my website around mid summer and I should have our race schedule updated by the. My son and I will be racing with NWC fulltime this winter and then I help out a friend that runs Semi-Pro at the district and regional races and sport at the nationals so I stay pretty busy. My buddy went at raced at the Iceland international snocross this spring and took 3rd in sport so I am pretty excited for him and look forward to next season. I have spoke to the Webmaster for Snowmobileworld and sounds like they will be sponsoring us also so maybe they will try to keep something up on here.

Take care and stay in touch!!  

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's cool. Sounds like a fun and busy (not to mention, expensive) winter. My friend and his wife race the Michigan Districts with the MSXRA/WSA. Hopefully the CC race doesn't conflict with their schedule.
Good luck with your sponsorships and your races this year!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I try to keep myself busy and I have fun racing. I am looking forward to getting my son going and the wif is going to try racing this winter a few times on my new sled.
It is expensive but I have a lot of fun doing it and I got lucky last year. No major damage to the sled so that helped keep the price down and I ran my '01 for a 2nd year so that helped also. I have about four cash sponsors lined up for next season and probably will try for one more. I don't want to get too many because it ends up being too hard to get all the decals on the sled and I don't feel it is fair to the company.

Here is a list of my sponsors so far:
Spy, Sportech, St. Croix Sports, PowerMadd racing, Plastic Specialties, Stud Boy, Whiplash Design & Graphics, Hot Seat, and of course Myers Racing Inc.

I am finalizing deals with:
Fireball Coatings, Snowmobileworld.com, Stillwater Ford, Line X of Stillwater, Amp Energy drink, Waldoch conversion center, and about two others that aren't sure yet.

I am waiting to hear from Polaris about the race program before I start "pounding the streets".

It sounds like I will probably be running as race support for Plastic Specialties ( Ultra Flex III skis ) at the NWC regional snocross events but that is not for sure yet.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Myers Racing Inc @ June 06, 2002, 05:16am)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It sounds like I will probably be running as race support for Plastic Specialties ( Ultra Flex III skis ) at the NWC regional snocross events but that is not for sure yet.[/b][/quote]
How does that work?  What exactly would you do?
I want to get a new pair of skis for my sled, but I'm going to have to wait till next year unless I run into some unexpected cash. How easy is it to get into Plastic Specialties sponsorship program? I see they get $100 off a pair of skis. That'd be nice.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Last year all that you had to do for a sponsorship was be a WSA race memeber. I am not sure how their program will be working this year but they are trying to come up with something. As for the race support I probably will have a few sets of skis and idler wheels and be signing up racers on the support program and maybe have a display set up with some skis. Like I said we haven't worked out the details but should be finishing it soon. There was only a small handful of riders running their skis last year with that series and it is a market area they said they would like to expand. I really liked the skis and they performed great. Next year I will also run their idler wheels. They are all plastic with the benefit of lighter weight and less rolling resistance. Here is a link to my sled from last year with the Ultra Flex III skis:My '01 Pro X

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice looking sled. Those skis look pretty sharp!
Thanks again for all the info.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Think that looks nice wait to you see our team sleds for next year. My son will be running a '03 blue Pro X 120 and my wife and I will be running a '03 Pro X 440. I will converting it to blue also if I can. Depends on what the chassis is but if it is an edge I will change it. Also I unfortunately have to Cat riders  
that run as part of our team and I know they are planning to stay with Cat but might switch and they will be running '03 Firecat Sno Pros. Just joking around about them riding Cat but I would like to get them switched over so we all ride the same but they go with the best deals and whom ever has the best contingency. One is a junior racer and the other runs Semi-pro at district and regional sno-x races and sport at the nationals. He finished 3rd in the Sport 500 final at the Iceland International snocross this spring so we were pretty excited. He also dabbles in Hillcross and almost made the X-games a year agao.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts