Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey just wanted to know if this is critical...was planning on using amsoil and wondering if i needed to start off the motors life on mineral oil.

if so how many tanks before i can switch over to the amsoil?

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I have no scientific data to back my claims. so I will call it my way. I have ,mainly because I was taught to, used mineral oils in all engines, I go thru, 2 or 4 stroke. on a 2 stroke I was taught to use 1 tank of mineral oil and make the switch. I switch the 4 strokes right after their dyno break-in. dad always claimed the mineral helped the rings seat better than synthetic. any facts ? maybe but no proof of it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have no scientific data to back my claims. so I will call it my way. I have ,mainly because I was taught to, used mineral oils in all engines, I go thru, 2 or 4 stroke. on a 2 stroke I was taught to use 1 tank of mineral oil and make the switch. I switch the 4 strokes right after their dyno break-in. dad always claimed the mineral helped the rings seat better than synthetic. any facts ? maybe but no proof of it.[/b]
Yes, mineral oil for break in. Yes, it does seat the rings better than synthetic. True what dooman says. :D

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
What Barry and Dave Said DO NOT BREAK IN ANY MOTOR WITH SYNTHETIC OIL !!! What they say is it's to slippery on the cylinder walls and will not let the ring seat properly.....But now days they start all Vipers and Corvettes with Mobil 1 synthetic in them :)

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
What Barry and Dave Said DO NOT BREAK IN ANY MOTOR WITH SYNTHETIC OIL !!! What they say is it's to slippery on the cylinder walls and will not let the ring seat properly.....But now days they start all Vipers and Corvettes with Mobil 1 synthetic in them :)[/b]
my 700 had doo xps in it from day 1 thats what I had the dealer put in it . :confused: who knows we all know the 700 runs good and has since the 1st day.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yes but the Corvettes consume oil at a rate that would make a spotted owl cringe for the first part of their lives. :eek:hmy: They take a loooong time to properly seat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts