Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Supercharging the RX-1 ....sounds good!
benji on 9/21/2002 9:10:00 AM

Mountian performance is offering a supercharger for the RX-1 that is promising 180hp on low boost and 220hp with a optional intercooler on higher boost which reqiures high octane fuel. this to me sounds more promising than a turbo . whats everone else think ??

Benji  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BAYSVILLE-SNOPRO on 9/21/2002 9:19:00 AM

!
SUPERCHARGED RX1 IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO , 5LBS BOOST / 180 HP NEVER WILL HURT IT *****TURBO'S WILL HAVE TO BE REAR MOUNTED( NO OTHER ROOM ) , GIVING LONG EXHAUST RUNS , LONG INTAKE BOOST TUBES AND LOTS OF BOOST LAG !!************
( I RUN 2 SUPERCHARGED SET UPS NOW AND THEY REALLY PERFORM ( BOAT AND TOW VEHICLE)  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

towsendccs on 9/21/2002 10:32:00 AM

Supercharge! Instant power when ya hit the flipper!!! I also run a paxton supercharger on my truck!!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yeah but turbos can make more power and dont rob any.  

But supercharging would be better for drags and corner to corner driving.  

Or you could do what most RX-1 owners are doing and swap engines for a 809 rotax triple.

Ahhh Two stroke cold smoke.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I would rather have a Supercharger. No lag, No extreme heat. or nitros!! There is so much more you can do to a 4 stroker.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Don't take ofence but you guys really are not up to speed on current turbos. There is a reason all the new records are ste with turbos. They make the turbo housing and most impotantly the impellar for each individual application so there isn't "lag". And they take virtually no power to drive them compared to the horsepower sapping S-chargers. The big boys running S-chargers switched to turbos for better consistancy and more power and broke every record doing so. Think about this, they lose 250-300HP running a big M-3 S-charger , where as a turbo takes 50Hp now this is on 1300-1600hp stangs but think about it. And they both make about the same heat as they use intercoolers.
Caleb

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not saying turbo's aren't good, I'm simply wondering where the #### you'd put it on the RX-1?  A supercharger would be much easier to fit.  But I do prefer Superchargers.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I prefer supercharging also.  It feels like you added hp to the engine and its there at all times.  A turbo is more like using NOS.  You have it but its not quite as responcive.  

A super is the best for trail and drags and a turbo is the best for and hill climbs and equally for drags.  

Sled Dogg is right.  Turbos have come a long way and lag is almost non exsitent.  But if it was my machine i would go with a S charger.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Here is some Pics of the Yamaha V-6 I have been working on. Its not snowmobile related, but to me it goes to show how much Yamaha puts into research and development.SHO If you have never seen a Taurus with a Yammy engine in it, take a look.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The guy at the local perfromance shop as a Ford Taurus SHO but its a V8 made by yamaha.  Everytime im there he offers to show me the engine but i keep forgetting to ask.  He said its really neat.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You sure about that Machzzzz1?  It's my understanding that Yamaha only made a V-6.  Go take a look next time you're there.  The guy may think it's a V-8 because of how powerful it is, that engine rocks.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It's a 3.0 liter V/6  with yamaha designed cly heads and intake, the block is cast by mercury marine.They are a real high reving engine.

·
Registered
287 Posts
They did make a v-8 sho engine. The first one's were 3.0, then, about 1994 (what is in the pics) 3.2 and a v-8 almost a 4.0 but I am not sure

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I belive its a 4.0 yamaha V8.  but it could be smaller.  But its definitly an V8.  And i think it was the last year for the SHO.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I know sho's and i've never,ever seen a v-8 SHO in the original body style. Now they did produse a lameo 4.6litre in the 97-1999 or 2000 Tarus but it wasn't a power house. It does sound very nise with Flowmasters though.
 The Old SHO was a Yamaha designed intake and head on a ford block. And they are mighty little things.
Caleb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts