Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how the 600 triple holds up over time. My buddy is thinking of getting one with around 4500km on it. Its a 1998. Anything to look out for, I dont think I ever saw a 600 formula around here.

Skidoo calls them a proven engine and my dealer said there good but im just asking around.

Oh and what about performance.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
there has been a few around here with crank troubles at around 4 or 5 thousand kms, a buddy of mine had a 97 and its had great bottom end stock but not great top end, and he too seized crank bearings. but i know for a 98 with over 12000 kms with no trouble at all, so go figure.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
my cousin is a skidoo mechanic and says to stay away from any 98 tripple from doo,yet jwheeler says he knows one with 12000 kms and no problems,i think in the last issue on snowtech they also stated to stay away from a 98 f3-600,they gave a list of used sleds to avoid.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I thought by 98 they had the crank problems fixed for the
600 tripple anyways.My friend was unfortunate enough to
get a 98 mach1 that the crank went out on ???

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've been around a couple of F3's and when they run they go like snot, but not very reliable and very expensive to fix. That's just my opinion. i would stick to a lighter twin. have a good winter :)

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Machzzz1 - The 600 tripple is almost identacle to the 700 trips. Yes, there are some crank problems, but no worse than that of the 809s. Same bearings. It is all to do with the sealed crank bearings that Doo uses, the same ones in the new twins.

Good of season storage, and adequate oil pump settings will let er live.

The bearings can be updated to remove the seals and run lubrication thru them. Have to keep an eye on the crank seals also.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Two riding buddies both lost crank bearings in the 5000k range. On the plus side, they definately rock and roll.
Rick.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My dad has a 98 F3 600. The crank bearings went out around 7000 miles on his. Other than that no problems at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts