Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my cousin has a 88 or 89 formula plus 521cc that he's blown up so much that wisco had to hire a night shift at the plant to kep up with him! he's tried to find an engine to drop in the sled but can't find one anywhere. does anyone know where there is one? or an engine that will fit that chassy??

please email me if anyone knows where ther is one ok? ???

thanks [email protected]

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
He can put a

462(mx) 85-93 34mm carbs
521(plus) 85-88 40mm carbs
521(plus) 89-91 34mm carbs
583(mach) 89-90 38mm carbs
583(plusX) 92-93 38mm carbs
582(plus/gt) 92-94 38mm carbs
617(mach) 91-92 40mm carbs
617(machX) 91-92 44mm carbs twin pipes
670(mach) 92-94 40mm carbs

Those are the engines that will fit that chassis :sly:

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Whats the problem with the 521.I had no probs with mine other than when I had it bored and Wiseco sent me one piston marked .020 over and it was standard.Even so I ran it all winter and then sold it too a guy and the cylinder came loose and started to leak antifreeze.Thats how I found out about the wrong size piston.Maybe he should try a different piston.Does the engine have any mods done to it.Also the 88s and older required premium fuel.

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
whats the problem?is it burning down?if so is he just buying pistons and rings or is he looking for the problem?sounds like crank seals ,without the info I asked for we really don't know.crank seals that let air in will create a lean condition that will burn them up.if you don't look for things like that your wasting money on pistons,this assuming it is burning down and he did not look for other problems.the 521 were not bad engines so I would start there if he has not.I also wanted to add if the sled has been sitting around for years not used it would be a prime candidate for bad seals.

·
Registered
340 Posts
'tis a good idea to have a lookie at the crank seals after multiple burn downs....

"know why, before you burn down again"?

Keep in mind, a 670 uses a different PTO crank taper, than all the other engines, and if you do buy an odd engine, make sure you get the right CDI box. Good luck,
Rich K.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:D thanks everyone! i'll ask him if he checked the crank seals or not. i'll also get back to you with a little more info if i can.

p.s. do you know anyone with an engine? :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts