Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Corey, did you get a new server or something? Forum performance is good today!

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
We have been experiencing a lot of DoS attacks recently and we have been trying to get a handle on it. I mentioned to the moderators that we are getting a brand new high-powered server soon, but these attacks are holding it up due to the amount of money that the new hardware and software is costing to deal with them.

Some days are better than others but we should be able to a good handle on these soon as well as the new server helping. Funding is low so it may take some time.
:)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know where the DoS attacks are originating? And more importantly, why?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately, it's not some punk teenager anymore... These are becoming well-organized, strategically planned attacks. Cyberterrorism, if you will.

There are way too many zombied PCs out there on the net being hosted by people running Windows not properly secured. A large scale DoS attack is easily orchestrated with control over many PCs on varied networks.

Their IP address(es) are probably spoofed at this point and it's impossible to trace these back to the source (ie. in the case of the DoS coming across from an anonymizing proxy like Tor).

Unfortunately, until we start running a more secure Internet, things like this will persist.

·
Banned
5,166 Posts
These attacks are actually something called syn_flood attacks, using the "friendly" openness of TCP/IP. Increasing firewall rules, changing the configuration of the server, and updating the router are the only ways to defend against them that I know of.

I have worked with our backbone provider to attempt to take some precautions against these, but I am told that even with the money we just spent, there is only so much that can be done.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Although it could cause major distruption for a short period, have you considered getting the IP address of the forum changed? At least that way, you'll be in the clear for a period of time. If you can get your provider to change the refresh time on the DNS record to something really short, the forum might be down only for a short period of time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts