Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Not trying to sound like a cheapskate here but my 02 MXZ700 loves to go through the new plugs - BR9ECS - at 7 bucks a piece.  I probably fouled 10 last season in only 520 miles.  I'm switching to Amsoil next season so this should make a difference.  (Cleaned the RAVE's today and they were not too bad and moved freely)

Does the carbon junk bond to the plug or can it be removed with carb cleaner or something similar?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Holy crap.  10 in one season.

I suggest you get your carbs or oilpump tuned because you should be going though maybe only 2 sets a year.  I run with one set for two seasons on my 500mxz and 1 season on my mach.  

Somthings not right to have 10 sets of fouled plugs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it was about 10 plugs total, sometimes only 1 would need to be replaced while the other cyl. was fine.  

I was thinking of having the dealer check carb synch, etc since I felt the sled was lacking a bit in throttle response.  

Also, oil to gas ratio (I haven't changed factory settings) is about 35:1

Is carb tuning the same as synchronization?

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Well my thinking is that maybe you need to have the dealer jet a size or two down.  Or the carbs are dirty and arnt metering the fuel properly.  Or the oilpump is putting into much oil and might need to be turned down a notch.  I dont know whats wrong but there is something wrong.  

Bring it to a dealer and tell him what its doing.  

Is it the same side that keeps fouling or is it random?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, 10 in a season is awful.  I haven't fouled a plug in 2 seasons, although I always put new ones in at the beginning.

My '80 Olympique fouls a ton.. take em out, clean em up.. and budda bing.. perfection.  That Olympique is still alive and kicking!!.. I love vintage.  Starts first pull.. in -30 degrees!!

Ciao

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Short answer, is yes, you can clean them.  I clean them up on a wire wheel, and use a little carb cleaner.

but I agree, thats alot of plugs to be fouling.

FishHog

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses.  Its not limited to one side or the other - seems to affect both.  

I'll be bringing it in for the dealer to have a look and check things out before the snow flies so I'll let you know how it goes.  In any case, I think the oil pump needs to be turned down a bit.

A

·
0 Posts
After I rebuilt my ZRT it fouled 6 plugs on various cylinders in a matter of hours but after that it seems to be blown out it hasn't used any since.

·
Registered
310 Posts
if your 02 mxz has dpm its recalled, get it fixed.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Is it just me or does that seem a little expensive for plugs?  or is that in canadish money,  I had a 90 wildcat ,  and no matter what we did it ate plugs.(i even rebuilt the motor, redid the carbs, brought it to a guy that knew what he was doing look at it  and no luck).

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I'd have the dealer tweak the oil pump adjustment. Check again & see if it's closer to 50:1. I go thru a coulpe of sets each season. Usually fouls when starting.

·
Registered
79 Posts
We all know cat had a great idea with EFI.  Haven't fouled a plug yet.  Can ride all day, in any temp or altitude with no problems.

·
Registered
83 Posts
you can definitly clean spark plugs. My srx plugs are $13.00 a piece. Mac tools sells a small plug cleaning tool witch is more or less a small sand blaster and works beaitifull. cost was about $40.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yeah and I once rode a ZL 580 with EFI that fouled plugs at almost ten per day and no one could seem to fix it, needless to say it was traded in after one season....so no brand is always perfect, so much for the great idea eh!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did take awhile I understand to get the bugs worked out.  I heard real horror stories about those first 580 EFI's. Have a 500zl with 1500 miles on it with no problem. Also like the fact that plugs only cost $2.00us.  Do those high price plugs really make a difference??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To me, the only difference they make is to my wallet, but they're supposed to reduce the chances for detonation versus the regular BR9ES plugs.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
If they reduce detonation then they've got more resistance and spark hotter.  Maybe that's the problem.  The first thing I would do is switch to the exact plugs 'doo says you should use and see what happens.

·
Registered
959 Posts
i had a similer prob. i would foul out plugs left and right   due to driving slow and leting idle to long.. so   i would try the plug change that doo says then if that dont work  get in a big feild and open her up!

·
Registered
146 Posts
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (hotshot94 @ July 20, 2002, 3:52pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We all know cat had a great idea with EFI.  Haven't fouled a plug yet.  Can ride all day, in any temp or altitude with no problems.
[/b][/quote]
#### ya, preach it brother hotshot

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
at about 900 miles I decided I should replace the plugs that came from the factory in my 99 machZ, bad idea!  I couldn't go a tank of gas without loosing a plug or two after that.  Took it to the dealer twice and everything checked out.  I finally tried out Denso Iridium plugs and the fouling stopped.  I sold the sled to a guy this past March, he called me a week later to tell me what a fast sled it was and how much he loved it.  He then asked me why it went thru so many plugs.  I guess it went thru a half dozen in a weekend.  I said that I thought I solved the problem by installing the Denso plugs and he said he replaced them before he left on his trip back to ngk's. I talked to him again later on and he said he pulled the plugs out of his garbage (the denso's) and put em back in and rode it several more times that year with out a hiccup.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts