Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I have been checking out specs and pictures of the new Yamaha Rx1.  I am REALLY stoked about this new idea.  Could you guys give me reasons to buy and reasons not to buy one of these units?  All opinions help.

By the way, I would be buying the Rx1 Mountain

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
My opinion is that the RX-1 is still mostly just hype.  Yamaha hypes the hell out of everything and then when it comes out its nothing.   Look at the viper how they said it would take the srx in a race and only pale over at high speeds.

HAHAHAHAHAHA the viper cant even do that to a 600 Mxz.  

They compaired it to the SRX which compeats with 800s and now there in a 600 twin level.  It seems like the performance of the machine droped everyday since we heard about it till we could buy it.  

Second i dont think 4 strokes will hold up in winter and under the harsh conditions that snowmobile engines have to cope with.  Repairs are costly and parts are all made right in the middle of japan and take a few seasons to make it to us.  

Yamaha = Backordered.  

Thrid Yamahas reliability isnt as great as most people belive.  I have seen a lot on the side of the trails looking at serious problems.  Sure i have seen other brands including mine but Skidoo, Arctic Cat and Polaris sell way more sleds so natrually there will be a few on the side but yamahas seem to be right up there with them.

Forth.  Do you really want a snowmobile thats super complicated.  Sure you can say 2 strokes dont hold up but at least there simple and cheap to fix compaired to a High performance 4 stroke.  

And if you want the performance of this new 4 stroke just buy a 800 triple and with a few mods you will be right on buy.  Also skidoo is looking like there will be a New MachZ this year and i bet its already faster.  

Yes i do sound very against the RX-1 but in truth im not.  Its a good machine and if it holds up like yamaha is saying it will and lives up to the hype then it will be a killer machine.   But my heart is in 2 stokes and with the DFI 2 strokes coming out they can be tuned for more power and reliablity.  Plus better emitions then a 4 stroke.  

Go with the new Mach Z in the ZX if it does come out.  I bet it will have DFI.  And no matter what yamaha says it will probably beat the RX-1.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm a die hard Cat man and two stroker...but give to yamaha, I've seen them win against two strokes in supercross!  So if anyone can develope a decent thumper they can.  I just hope honda keeps out of the race or we'll all be riding 4's soon!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Get used to it. California is killing 2 strokes, so are the parks, they will be gone like the dinosaurs. If a 2 stroke engine is so hot, why don't you see them in cars? No matter what anyone says, raw fuel is going out the tail pipe everytime that piston comes up. which means less mileage, more emissions. Sure I like the powerband in them, and they are a lot lighter, but it will be something I think 10 years from now, will be a thing of the past, then  it will all be 4 strokes. that Rx-1 is 5 valves per cylinder, and 154 horse. Someone (I would like it to be me) is going to develope a supercharger for one and the dam thing will be a rocket ship. Plus you can use different fuels, you can do a lot more modifications to a 4 stoke engine than 2. Not to mention, I own a Auto repair shop, I see Jap engines come in with 100,000 miles that still pass emission standards with no problems and run great, think about it, when was the last time your 2-stroke went a 100k without replacing pistons?
???

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Paul your compairing snowmobiles to cars.  Do cars run at 8500rpm and hold it.  No they normally running between 1500 and 3000 and at hard accel maybe 5000 but only for a few secs.  

Do they need to be started every time in ice cold conditions like -30c.  And now with 2 stroke getting cleaner then 4 what is the reason california is kick them out.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
here is why i think the new 4 strock will run. i know the dealer told me it is quiker and faster than the srx and have to beleive it when they say the srx is beeing dropped. so u know it will run strong. it is also priced at 12,300 can.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know much about the RX-1 but I rpde the 4-stroke Cat last season and it was ok.  Very quiet, great gas milage,no oil to add and really not too bad of a sled for what it is meant for.  I hear about the Yami and Bombi both coming out with some impresive #'s but like everyone knows the #'s mean nothing till proven.  I would seriously concider one in a few years after all the bugs have been worked out.  Or at least some of them.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I'm highly interested in the new Yammi as well.  Whether or not I'll buy one depends on the outcome of the new NPS snowmobile regulations that are currently being worked on.  

I like the 4 stroke technology for its longevity and reliability.  Despite some of the naysayers on the longevity of high revving engines, this IS an adapted sport motorcycle engine, and is more than capable of handling the RPM's that it will be subjected to.  Even if the engine were to only last 50K miles.  On a machine, how many years does this equate to?  

I would take the following approach:  If you already have a good sled, then sit back for a year or so and let the new machine issues get worked out.  If you need one now, I believe that the engine, as it has a past in motorcyle use, would be a good bet if it gets good reviews for reliability amongst the crotch rocket crowds.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies, guys.  Keep 'em comin!

·
Registered
311 Posts
reasons to buy the 4-stroke?  Gas milage, no more injector oil, doesn't stink, no more rejetting, no more worries about good or bad gas (bad gas in a 2-stroke burns down your motor, bad gas in a 4-stroke and it runs bad).  If some of you naysayers are concerned about the engine, get the extended waranty.  $500.00 will give you 5 years of complete coverage!  Who else can match that bang for your buck and piece of mind?  Back ordered parts?  Owning a doo for soooo long I have never had that problem, yea right!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Mxz7 if you look back a few years I believe you will find they made a Mach Z LT.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay guys, I'm pretty well sold on the RX1, except for one thing.  NO ONE will give me the weight of these things.  I heard that the Yammer engineers said 'amount of weight is not as important as center of gravity.'  Even though this may be very true, am I going to need to strap a hi lift jack
to the side of the sled to get unstuck?  I encounter some serious powder on most of my rides and getting stuck is really common.  I know the 151 X 2 track will help in the powder, but me burying my sled is inevitable.  Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Any type of advancements in technology can only be good for the industry and the sport. Just my opinion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts