Snowmobile World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to Tom Snowmobiles, the SKI DOO Fox shock distributer. I wanted some opinions on whether it's worth the money putting new gas shocks in my 97 formula Z 583.
Let me hear what you think
Thanks

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Go with another brand. Last season in Snow Tech there was a question about how often you should rebuild the different brands of shocks. They rated the Ohlins that are used on Yammis as the best. IANM, Fox had the lowest rating for seal life, loss of nitrogen charge etc. I'll try to dig up the info when I get home tonight. Maybe some of the other Snow Tech readers will remember.

Hasn't AC gone away from using the Fox shocks? I think Ski-doo only used them once on a early '90s Plus X.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
www.ohlins.com

Ohlins shocks are the best period.  

Here is the part number for your sled.

97 formula Z 583

Front (ski shocks) = SK 640
Center                = SK 641
Rear                   = SK 642

All of these shocks have internal resoviors that do the same thing as the external piggyback shocks.  

Ohlins will give you a much better ride.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
For sure the ohlin's are the best.  But how much are they???
I know that a yamaha front shock (ohlins) is around $1200.00 each!!!!
How much are they for the SKI-DOO? Can't see spending over $4000.00 to put new shocks on my sled!

·
Registered
756 Posts
My first choice would be Ohlins second Ryde FX third Fox. as stated earlier fox has the worst seal quality, but much better quality aftermarket seals are avail. Ryde FX has some very good shocks for the money, 9000 series rebuildables are $200-$240 ea. Ohlins are $560 pr. for ski shock $320 center shock $240 ea rear shock. these are for the #'s stated earlier by machzzzz1 which fit many ski-doos that vintage.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Go for the Ohlins
 The FoX look cool and supposedly good for awhile but don't have the life like a n Ohlin

·
Registered
279 Posts
Id look for a set of used hpgs from a mxz and have them rebuilt if needed. From what I have seen the hpg shocks last for many thousands of miles, and can be found at a very reasonable cost used.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
If I was making the choice right now, I'd go with the Ryde FX over the Comet shocks. Since the Comet shocks were intro'd I really haven't heard much about them one way or the other. There is probably a lot more Ryde FX users out there to get feedback from.

·
Registered
310 Posts
if your getting FOX shox, then get the ZERO X, but still i would reccomend RYDE FX, or ohlins, they are the best.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
had the fox last year on my m-10.....after 100 miles of hard riding they would start to fade by the end of the day the back end is dragging.they dont last long,this year put ohlins on what a difference in performance and shock life,no fade at all did 360 miles of bad trail one day and they were just as strong at the end of the day as at the beginning,should be good for 8000-10000 miles before a rebuild,the fox i had were complete toast after 1200 miles

·
Registered
160 Posts
I installed Ohlins on my 00 MXZ 700 because of their quality and because the stock rear shock lost its charge. Who ever said your sled will ride good is crazy. These shocks were so stiff that you could jump off a building and not bottom out. I would recommend the Ryde FX shocks. JMT

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
If the shock acts stiff, they can be revalved. I know, I had the same problem with my '95 MXZ 440. They had to much dampening from the factory. The guys at the dealer changed the valve pack and it was much better for trail riding.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I put comet shocks on my F3 this year and they are great so far, I rode about 1500 miles this season on them, the problem is comet doesn't make shocks any more so I got a good deal on them, $100.00 each, I talked to a rebuilder and he said the parts will interchange with Fox so there is no problem rebuilding them, look around and maybe you can find some for your sled, they ride great, they have the by-pass valving similar to the position sensitive Fox shocks so they are plushy over the small bumps and still have the valving for the harse bumps, I weigh 275 without gear on and ride all day without the shocks fading, the stock motion control shocks would fade after an hour of riding.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought I'd bring this bac to the front. Does anyone know where to buy Ohlins at a good price? ???
Thanks in advance

1 - 17 of 17 Posts