Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Grand Touring 600 with a long track M10. It has Fox shocks. It is time to have them rebuilt. I saw a thread under Ski Doo where it was recommended 1) buy Ohlins 2) buy Ryde FX 3) have the seals replaced with an aftermarket that works better. How good a choice is replacing the seals? (obviously the cheapest) If this is a good route to go - what should I replace them with? What is the best route? I hear Ohlins are expensive. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't believe that you will experience enough of a difference in ride quality to warrant putting Ohlins or Ryde FX on.. In fact I feel the Fox shock is a better unit..

Rebuild your Fox shocks and have them put in a new seal kit.. then check all your settings on the M-10 to make sure it is dialed in for your weight and riding style.

That M-10 is real sensitive to weight.. tune it right and you will have a super smooth ride..

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
fox cant even come close to ohlins,i had both on my m-10 and the fox were toast after 1000 miles,the ohlins will last 8000-10000 before a rebuild,and there is a difference in ride quality,with the fox i was running my F.R.A 100-150lbs over my body weight ,with the ohlins i was running about 50 lbs over on the F.R.A,and after a 150mile ride with the fox my back end would be draggin,with the ohlins they had the same performance at the end of the day as at the beginning,ask any shock rebuilder what they think is a better shock,i had a good chat with a guy at fast who rebuilds them and he even said that the fox are a terrible shock compared to the ohlins.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I haven't had a real issue with ride quality - although you can really tell the shocks need to be rebuilt. I have an ACE on it so it's easier to go from 1 up to 2 up. It is nice to adjust it on the fly. The ride quality is pretty good. Wondering how much the seal kits will help keep it from fading. Also I would have the 'M valve' put in. It certainly would be cheaper to have them rebuit. Consider that this is not my primary machine. Although I do like it. HPG shocks in front, M10 ACE, 1.25'' track, USI skis, electric start and reverse. I like longtracks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
THe fading that he is refering too is caused by using the wrong oil in the shocks.. When rebuilt they need to put in a Medium weight synthentic oil this will really help with longevity of the shock..

Ohlins are suppose to be rebuilt every 1000 miles too.

Fox shocks will last, on the rebuild if you take it to a guy who knows what he is doing like Shock Therapy They will insure that you get the best seal kit and wiper.. Your shocks will last you all season..

If you enjoy long tracks then I would suggest a Mountian Cat 800... That is my trail sled.. 1.25 X 144 on it.. Awesome in all conditions..

·
Registered
310 Posts
haha the day Ohlins shocks have to be rebuilt every 1000 miles will be a cold day in hell. Your sled will #### the bed b4 the shocks. try every 8-10000 miles.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
ohlins do not have to be rebuilt every 1000 miles!!!! :yee:

·
Registered
199 Posts
With the proper oil all shocks will last well past 1000 miles.. the manufacture recommends that the shocks be gone thru every 1000 miles.. Needed or not..

Fox are still good shocks. Ohlins are good but they are not made for all applications and getting someone to rebuild them properly is tough. Parts are hard to find and it will cost you more money to do it..

There is no Snowmobile shock that is made to last 8-10K..

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Fox, RYDEFX all need to be done between 1000 and 2000. Skidoo HPG can go 2000 - 2500 and Ohlins will probably last the life of your machine PERIOD..

This is why ohlins are used on Endurance Race Cars like the ones in 24h at lemans

THE BEST.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
:withstupid:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Just a thought ,I was looking on the fast sight and they are selling a new fox shock called a fox zero shock for the 2003 m-10.They are also the same price as the ryde fx. :0:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a new Remote Reservior Fox shock for the rear of a M10 that I will sell for 1/2 price of what Fast requests.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I rebuild shocks, Ohlins outlast others 4 to 1, second best ryde FX, fox last. we'll see how the new fox lasts, they should have fixed it with the new ice scraper they describe. IMHO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts