Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of any bypases of French River bridge and how to get back on to the "C" trail going south. I'll be heding south late friday night and don't want to use taxi service over the bridge. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
You have to head towards port Loring and take a secondary trail C105D (I think) which goes north just west of L. Nipissing. It's quite a way of of your way. Bro has used the taxi no problem. If all goes well the sled bridge will be up next winter.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Does anyone from the Parry Sound or Sudbury areas know if they started construction on the bridge over the French River? From the sketches I've seen, Looks like a big one  over 500' long I think.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Here is an artist's conception:

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
That looks like one scary bridge.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
It's looks better than the picture of a bridge I saw in Snow Goer a year ago. It was on Quebec's north shore area. Halfway up the approach which wasn't gradual
you had to make a turn. It didn't look very safe.

The company from the Soo that designed this bridge designed the one at Marathon over the Pic River.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I guess the guy who charges $10/sled to trailer you across, will be going out of business.

Thats got to be an expensive project.  That will tap into the OFSC funds.

FishHog

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
My brother & sister in law were up there when the bridges were proposed. I think he said the guy that runs the shuttle (also runs a resort?) said that he didn't mind as it would probably result in more tourism in the area.

Beside the OFSC funding, there was some government funding too. On the cover of one of the sledding papers this winter there was a picture of the ribbon cutting for the Pickerel River bridge. Unfortunately, there wasn't any article inside about the project. I did read that the French River bridge was going thru the red tape process  

My parents had to go thru hoops to replace a bridge at our bushlot. There had been one there since the 30s. MNR, MOE, Coast Guard, local township & county all had to approve it.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
While on the subject of bridges did anyone hear how the bridge over hwy 11 in gravenhurst in coming along.I was through there on the may long weekend and it didn't look like anything had been started yet

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Is this a snowmobile/recreation bridge? Send an email to the Muskoka Snow Region (MSR) they might know.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
It is a sled/recreational bridge.They originally said it would have been done for last season but obviously it wasn't.When it is done it will greatly improve that area as it will eliminate
the use of several lakes and one real problem swampy section

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Here is some info from the Nov. 2001 issue of Trail Rider about the Pic River bridge:
368 ft long
cost over $1 million CDN
10.5 ft wide
will hold full size groomer & drag

·
Registered
752 Posts
oh well if thats all.... can I order 2 ?    lol   On a more serious note  we need a bridge like that her so thats why I was interested in the cost...someday in the future ...maybe

·
Registered
8,771 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Revrnd
The bridge you are referring to I believe is the bridge that is about 15 miles from Baie Comeau on Quebec Trail #3. I have been acrossed it 4 times over the past 4 years. It is not as bad as it looks. The ferry that takes you across the St. Lawarence from Baie Comeau/Godbout to Matane is awesome. First time on it, there were 7 tractor-trailers, of which 2 were doubles, 50 cars and 50 sleds. I was last one on and there was room for 1 more. It is a 2 1/2 hour trip across. That is quite an experience. Check out www.tourismecote-nord.com I think there is a picture of the bridge and ferry boat on it.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Bill, I checked the website & no picture. If I can find the magazine, I'll scan the pic.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Revrnd

It's on the front of the Snowmobile Trail Map of the Cote-Nord region. Also when you open map up there is a bigger picture of it. A couple of interesting points about it.
The river doesn't freeze because it's too warm.
It's so warm because the warm is used 5 times coming down river to drive turbines.
125 miles up river is the large dam. Friend of mine worked at building it 40+ years ago. He told me reservoir is 100 miles long and 750 ft. deep. Part of it was formed by meteorite.
The river is the Manicouagan
If you can't find a picture, e-mail me your mailing address and I'll send you pictures I've taken of it.

Bill

1 - 20 of 38 Posts