Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah, so today cruising around with the cowling off, went for an hour cruise, engine overheated and started backfiring, so i took off some shrouds, and waited a half hour to cool

then as we were almost back a slight smell of burnt came back to the komatic (i wasn't driving) about a minute later the engine looses power and stops abrubtly

so we get my buddy's 4x4 ranger, back that onto the trail and haul the sled out

i haven't taken it apart yet, but there was smoke coming from #2, probably fried the rings

i got a spare engine though, so i'm not too worried

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i went and had a look at it, engine turned fine, cranked her over, started right up

it moved fine, so its not even the chain case, i'm really confused now

i thought it would start backfiring a lot before it would quit from overheating

ideas? anyone had something similar happen... ever?

·
Registered
582 Posts
What kind of sled was it??? Did it have boogy wheels? I took one of my Chaparrals out a couple of weekends ago and the track got snow bound up in the track. The track would not spin. See "Story Time" on this site, I described it on there. Did you check your plugs to see if any aluminum was on them? I had a dirtbike that seized, poured some Mystery Oil in it gave it a good kick and it kicked over, even started after a few kicks and to this day to the best of my knowledge, still runs????????

What a runner!!!!

D

·
10,054 Posts
probably wouldnt hurt to pull it apart this summer and rebuild,,, at least the top if you thought it had blown,,,, then you get a first hand look

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, so i took off the head on #2 today, and the piston is fried, there's a big crevase in the piston, rings are melted cylinder is covered in burned/melted piston/ring material

i'm putting my spare engine in, coudln't get the clutch off today, stores were closed, couldn't get a puller for the flywheel and the clutch, tomorrow she'll live again

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the clutch retaining bolt isn't the same thread on my spare engine, so i ended up changing just the piston, head and cylinder

runs good, 155psi compression on both sides, not bad for a 32 year old sled!!

damn it i love this thing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts