Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my snow flap about 3 weeks ago.I couldnt find it ont he trail.I kept hearing a noise in the track sounded like ice build up.I noticed i was low on coolant today.Well i went for a tour got almost home 1/2 a block temperature light came on.Got home coolant running out from underneath track .I flipped sled up on its side.Guess what i found snow flap wedged up against front heat exchanger.I finnaly got it pulled out but it has wore a little hole in the exchanger .any ideas how to fix I guess pull the track off and see if I can weld it up or JB weld

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I lost my snow flap about 3 weeks ago.I couldnt find it ont he trail.I kept hearing a noise in the track sounded like ice build up.I noticed i was low on coolant today.Well i went for a tour got almost home 1/2 a block temperature light came on.Got home coolant running out from underneath track .I flipped sled up on its side.Guess what i found snow flap wedged up against front heat exchanger.I finnaly got it pulled out but it has wore a little hole in the exchanger .any ideas how to fix I guess pull the track off and see if I can weld it up or JB weld[/b]
if you are going through the trouble of pulling the track it would be ashame to halfass it by putting jbweld or similar on it . find a welder and get it fixed right .M

·
Registered
980 Posts
What snowfrog said.
Have it welded if you are going through the effort of pulling it all down.
I have had two A/C sleds with the permanent front exchanger leak like yours. My ZR had a stud tear loose and tore a groove in it, I TIG'd it up and no probs 7,000 miles later.

I also JB'ed the exchanger on my ZL, but that is because it got a hole in it by picking something up in the track on a ride in the U.P. and it was fixed in the hotel parking lot as an emergency repair. I was always going to dig the JB out of it an weld it, but it always looked good and it now has almost 5,000 miles on without leaking.

If you have the option, have it welded, you will be able to put more trust in the repair.

·
Registered
580 Posts
JMO but our season isn't going to last much longer. I had a stud on a flap cut a groove in a heat exchanger on my old 96' ZR 580 and as long as you clean it VERY well, you should be able to repair it with JB weld without removing the track. I did this and rode the next day and my exchanger looked like it was hit with a hatchet!

Come spring you can fix it correctly.

Three words though-
clean
clean
clean
before you JB weld anything.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
JMO but our season isn't going to last much longer. I had a stud on a flap cut a groove in a heat exchanger on my old 96' ZR 580 and as long as you clean it VERY well, you should be able to repair it with JB weld without removing the track. I did this and rode the next day and my exchanger looked like it was hit with a hatchet!

Come spring you can fix it correctly.

Three words though-
clean
clean
clean
before you JB weld anything.[/b]

if something comes into my shop that has jb weld on it the price just doubled lol . that stuff smells so bad when its burning you wouldnt believe it . it would gag a skunk ,seriously . M

·
Registered
580 Posts
Ha! I guess I learned something already today.
I always intended to replace mine when I fixed it......totaling the sled negated the need for that though :lol:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the heat exchanger welded up and put it all back together was a real easy fix..When you go that far might as well weld it.thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I don't know guys, JB holds pretty good but I don't know about the cold. I got a generator from Home Depot, 7000 watt for $100. Somehow it gained a hole the size of a quarter in the crankcase. I slapped some JB on it and it's held ever since, and that was 7 years ago and I run it alot up at the cabin. Like I said, I don't know about the cold but it will hold with the vibration.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I don't know guys, JB holds pretty good but I don't know about the cold. I got a generator from Home Depot, 7000 watt for $100. Somehow it gained a hole the size of a quarter in the crankcase. I slapped some JB on it and it's held ever since, and that was 7 years ago and I run it alot up at the cabin. Like I said, I don't know about the cold but it will hold with the vibration.[/b]
I`m sure jb weld holds fine .but I sure wouldnt trust it out in the middle of nowhere when, I`m in trouble if it goes out at that moment... just not worth the risk to me .jmho M

ps .I`m welder so that may influence my decision some lol

·
Registered
580 Posts
If I had a welder that would influence my decision too :lol:

One of these days I'm going to take a welding class. It just seems like something I should learn at some point.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
If I had a welder that would influence my decision too :lol:

One of these days I'm going to take a welding class. It just seems like something I should learn at some point.[/b]
if you have mastered the art of tieing your shoes I`m sure that tig welding steel/ aluminum is well within your grasp lol M

·
Registered
5 Posts
That magic rod works very well and is hard as hell. I have used it to repair a few things one of which was an hogged out hole on my airplane cowl. The stuff is harder than the alclad aluminum they used to build planes, grinds and sands well too. You only need to brush it clean with the stainless brush then get it hot until it starts trailing puddle as you scrape it across the broken area. Get it a tad hotter back off the propane torch some then continue filling. Stop drill any cracking you might have found before during inspection and prep of course. The rod I got came from Harbor Freight of all places, it isn't sensitive to moisture either so whats left over keeps forever. Try the local welding shop but don't be surprised if they tell you its crap, wont hold isn't strong yadda yadda.
The key feature of the stuff is that it melts well before aluminum so you wont ruin your cooler as aluminum does not change color before it slags down. Its expensive but a couple sticks should last you a decade or so and save your ### many times.
Aside from that there is JB weld but there is something better called DEVCON which is ceramic and better. I have used that to fix a small crack on the head of myV-6 Mercuriser some 4 years ago and its still holding. Nice stuff way better than JB but hard to find and very expensive. Go with the magic rod. I think its also called super missle rod under another manufacturers brand. Just practice on a junk piece of something before doing the real repair so you don't slag down the cooler.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts