Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 ZL 600 SS and was wondering when the sled is sitting in the garage is the limiter straps suppose to have a bit of slack in them with no load on machine? I have had a bad time with my SS. I purchased it across the border in Sault Ste.Maire CA
and before I unloaded it in Michigan I looked at the undercarraige and noticed shock oil and the middle lugsof track was tore up. Something cammed over as they drove it into the back of my truck. I brought it back to the dealer after spending a hour in customs explaining why there was no VIN number on by bill of sale that was stamped my both US and Canada customs. The dealer then hade the sled for 3 weeks , he claimed he recharged the rear shock but had to wait for a new track. I called after getting the sled back and was told they lost there AC dealership and I was on my own to get the track replaced. I went to my local dealer in  Cedarville and explained what happened and they said they would see what they could do. On first ride I looked under sled after a couple of hours and noticed a hose clamp came loose that held shock oil resivour to body of shock. So this resivour was flopping around down there. Cedarville Marine finally told me that Artic Cat would warranty everthing for me but I had to reregister it at Cedarville because it seems my sled was sold once and registered to someone who for some reason returned it. The sled had 30 miles on it when I bought it and Acme Performance ( the oringinal Canandian dealer) told me the miles were put on my a dealer in Feburary during test rides. Finally I get my new track put on and Cedarville tells me that the rear shock is leaking and to fix it they have to send it to Arctic Cat to have it rebuilt. I can run it untill the snow is gone and have it taken care of the. Still curoius about the limiter straps though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ouch, sounds like you got a raw deal there..... I've heard that those shocks go into soft mode by default if the computer chip goes hay wire.  maybe thats why the suspension is compressing because the valve is opened by default.  I doubt the front spring is busted on the suspension with only 30 miles on it or whatever mileage you have now... but that might have happened if you were riding it hard and the shox were by default in the soft mode (broken computer chip or sensor).  Best thing to do is take it to the dealer and have them fix it.  I would also go after the company that you bought it from, if you were told it was new and bought it new, but someone else owned it then you can go after them for that in court....

Good luck, and hope everything ends up ok

Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I now have about 750 miles on it and it seems to ride pretty good yet. But are the limiter straps supposed to have slack in them with no load?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
What a bad deal....but the limiter straps should have no slack in them.  Even if the jamnut is loosened to the end of the bolt, there should still be tension on the straps.  I just adjusted mine yesterday to put more pressure on the skis.

Good Luck.....document everything everytime you talk to CAT or a dealer on this issue....dates, times and names.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The limmiters can have slack. Normally if they is it causes low ski pressure, making it hard to steer(skis in air).  It is mainly a personal preference.  My Sno Pro had slack in them and i noticed that the slides were wearing too far up and wearing the screws that hold them in (hard on clips).  But you can adjust them how you like, normally there isn't slack though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 2002 600b efi mountain cat LE.  I have been riding it set up the way it come from the factory.  It jumps up on top of the powder and has a great power band but I just feel the ski pressure is to light and the front end tends to come up to much on steep hills.  I thought I would get used to it but haven't.  I looked at my straps and they are loose.  I have about an inch and a half from the end of the bolt to the top of the adjusting nut.

I'm not sure if I should loosen the bolts more or tighten it to get more ski pressure.  I'm not sure howthat would affect the straps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
tighten up those straps to get more ski pressure. i had a mxz that liked to lift skis in any corner. its more of an effort to steer it but you wont be pushing corners sitting on the tank and hoping a carbide will catch:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts