Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I pulled the carbs from my wifes sled to clean for the first time. I found a small inline filter ( just a plastic screen the same diameter as the hose, cone shaped) inside the fuel hose intake going into the carb. There was only one on one carb not both. Anyone seen these before? Where is the fuel filter usually located? I couldn't see a main one.
Sled is a 98 FormulaZ583
Thanks.

·
Registered
539 Posts
There is a filter on the line inside the gass tank. On some models it is a buger to get to. Never seen the type you are talking about on a screen like afair...

·
Registered
98 Posts
There should be one of those in the inlet of each carb. I would assume that at some point one fell out while someone was working on the carb and they did not notice. As boondock mentioned, there is filter on the pickup in the fuel tank which is all that is really needed. Many people that toss the mini filter the first time they take the carbs off. I would either ditch the one you have or pick up another one so that both carbs are the same.

·
Registered
171 Posts
ditch them both and avoid a potential burndown. I took the ones in my 99 MX6 out on delivery and haven't looked back

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I didn't put them back in. Gonna check my new sled too and remove if they are there.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Anyone know what the best way to change the filter in the tank would be? SWRules

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I believe at one point there was a service bulletin from Ski Doo on the 99 MXZ 600s to remove those carb inlet filters because they were getting some plastic junk in them and causing lean conditions.

As for the one in the tank, its a pain. Just do like I accidently did on my 02 MXZ 600 X I took off the seat and went to pull the tank and forgot to take off the clamp on the line in front of the tank and just ripped the grommet and line out of the tank. It scared the heck out of me but I was able to get it all back together without incident and it seems to be sealing just fine just by putting it back together.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
My MXZ 670 had a filter in one carb only, as for the filter in the tank, use a coat hanger to fish the line out of the tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts