Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Rev 600 HO coming and am curious about the type of fuel to run in it. Factory suggests only running 87 octane I think. My buddies and I have always run premium in our sleds, adding some isopropyl de-icer every few fill ups, but if I can get away with regular 87 it would be a good savings.
What gas does everyone else run in thier toys and for what reason?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
ALWAYS PREMIUM! Unless you have a low H.P. sled then go for the 87. Would you rather eat a good old bar burger or a crappy McDonald's burger? NOT! Then why feed your High Tech $8000.00 sled second best food?
What's the big deal anyway, premium is usually 10 cents per gal. more and when you fill up it's usually 5-6 gallon's at a time, so that's a lousy 50 or 60 cents more out of pocket. Just dont buy that candy bar you dont need and you will break even and your sled will be faster without the added fat on your gut. lol  

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I agree mikadoo, run the best you can get on your sled trips.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Higher octane wll not make more h.p. If your sled is designed to run on the 87, that's what I would do. If it's designed for higher octane, that means the motor has more compression and/or the timing can be run more advanced to take advantage of the higher octane. The higher the octane the slower the fuel will burn. Again, It will not give you more power.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
You are correct when you say it burns slower and will not give you any more H.P. It's just good cheap insurance for the meltdown blues and with the junk there making for gas it makes you wonder if premium is really 93 octane, so what would that make 87?

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
One thing to look at is how fresh is the gas. Off the beaten path, how long has that 1000 gals of premium sat in the tanks? You know the station is selling a lot of 87 for the locals' pickups. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Thats why we run regular gas.When permafrost had his mach he had to run premium.That got a little costly when we where lake running

·
Registered
326 Posts
My H.O. has a high compression ratio so I run 91 to keep things from knocking but it also says 91 right on the cap so might as well run what it was designed for.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Use what's recommended. Octane level is not a quality measurement. The comparison with burgers should be where would you buy gas. Would you buy at 7/11 or at Amoco?(Mobil, Shell, Exxon, etc.)

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
when it is warm out don't waste the money on high test but good cold riding i use high test.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
When we filled up in Field (between Coniston & Marten River) last winter it was a no name place w/ an old Esso pump (no logo) & some other pump. The town looked sort of down at the heels, so I can't imagine they sell a lot of premium.

Normal trail riding @ slightly below freezing temps, 87 in most sleds probably is OK. If you're lake running @ nasty temps, 91 is good insurance.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can see that this is an issue that there will never be a consensus on. I think I will try the 87 and see how it goes. I will continue to run a good de-icer though.
Revrnd, I think I know the gas station you are reffering to in field. Believe it or not, the food was good there, so looks can be deceiving. You seem to find the most run down gas stations on snowmobiles though. Places that you would never stop in while driving a car, but you have no choice because that's all there is.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Rollo, one of my buddies couldn't get over how friendly the girl was that was manning the pumps.  

I told him she was glad to be talking to some guy other than one of the regulars.

Before anyone takes offence to this, I've been up to northern Ontario since '79 when I worked west of Kirkland Lake. Friends of mine that now live in North Bay used to live in Elliot Lake & Timmins. I've always enjoyed my time up there. More fun can be had up there than down here in the GTA.

Apsley isn't a booming metopolis either

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
If its designed to run on 87, run 87. That's what all Cat's are designed for. That's what I run. Every once in a while I'll throw some premium in her. The thing to care about most like has already been said is quality. And yes. They sell a #### of a lot more 87 than 91 at those small little places. Especially if its the beginning of the season. Just my 2 cents

A

·
0 Posts
It depends on what you have done to your sled.  My ZRT runs the same and gets the same mileage on 87 as it does on 92.  There isn't any difference in performance or burning.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have always run high actane fuel 92. Never have i run 87 octane

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Higher octane will burn more evenly, but it's also more prone to detonation.  An engine is most efficient if you run whatever octane it was designed/timed for.  If it says 87, use 87.  If it says 91, DOn'T use 87.  Didn't skidoo on 2001 Legends put a switch that you would change if you ran different fuel?  Had three choices or something--91, 101, 108?  I imagine this switch probably varied the timing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I love it every year when this thread comes around.  It always generates some traffic.

Octane is actually a self ignition (detonation) inhibitor.  The higher the octane, the higher the self ignition temperature.  In our sleds, this is primarily driven by compression ratio...the higher the compression ratio the higher the octane to run in it.  It does not contain any more energy, so you won't get any more power.  As has been said before, engines are designed with specific fuels in mind.  If it says run 87 octane, the manufacturer has already guaranteed that the engine will run reliably with 87 octane under a wide range of normal operating conditions.  They don't want to warranty the parts any more than we want to break them.  Some people may think that higher octane fuels are cheap insurance, but I think it's a waste of money.

Out of curiousity, why do some people say they run high octane in really cold conditions?

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Hey Revrnd one time permafrost and I had to get gas from a place that the pump was sooooo old it was still in gallons

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Flame Lake Lodge south of Chapleau is the same.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts