Snowmobile World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the normal mileage on a 440 i get about 80-85 miles to a 6 gallon of 93 octane (18.33mpg) is this good or dose this seem bad for this sled anyone know? if it's bad what do you think my problum is?

thanks megan

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
why are you running 93oct???

the sled is made for 87

Seem good IMO,those 440 are great on gas

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it says it was tested on 90oct in the owners manual so I run the same or better then tested, it also only got like 50 miles to a tank on 87oct!
megan

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
what is the normal mileage on a 440 i get about 80-85 miles to a 6 gallon of 93 octane (18.33mpg) is this good or dose this seem bad for this sled anyone know? if it's bad what do you think my problum is?

thanks megan[/b]
Yeah I'd say that's really good mileage, probably what you should expect. And I too would stick with the premium unleaded or at least 91+ from a reputable station.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
it says it was tested on 90oct in the owners manual so I run the same or better then tested, it also only got like 50 miles to a tank on 87oct!
megan[/b]
NOt saying you are lying

BUT you will get better mileage with a lower octane vs a higher one

If it says to run 90oct in the manual run 90

Yet I highly doubt it says that for a 440LC Prowler engine

·
Registered
980 Posts
FB is 100% correct. There is no purpose in running premium fuel in that sled. I would suspect that it is designed for 87 octane fuel, but I would run what ever the sled calls for. I can't remember an A/C 440 (other than a snow-pro) call for anything higher than 87 octane.

The sled motor is designed around a particular grade of fuel. Compression, cylinder temp, and other factors dictate octane required. If you run 93 in a sled made for 87 you are not only throwing money away, but you are also loosing power and economy by using a fuel that burns to cool and slow for the motor design.

If you raised compression, added a pipe, advanced the timing, or other mod that raises cylinder temp, then great, burn a higher octane, otherwise your fuel does not match your engine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

thanks megan[/b]
ok called the dealership here after the posts
they said that they test the sleds on 90 octane to see if it will damage the engine or see if it will get a ping in the cyclinders they also told me that it is built to run 87-89octane with the best fuel mileage they also found a problem with the engine that would explane why i got better mileage on 93 then 87 after i had that fixed its now getting around 19-20 mpg on 87 @ 50 mph which is the design speed for the best mpg for the pantera lc440 thanks to all who helped with that and for saving my engine from damage due to the problem that was developing, thanks again

megan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts