Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 zr 580 efi that gets horrible fuel mileage last year up in michigan i was averaging five or six mpg basicly filling up at every town. I know that the 580s are hard on fuel but is this normal :angry: . I'd like to get more mileage without spending alot of money i've thought of gearing it not sure if that would help and i don't want to lose any acceleration. Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I doubled the fuel economy (5mpg to 10mpg) on my 2000 ZR700 last year simply with clutching and jetting. Obviously jetting is out for you, but you might want to consider a clutch kit.

·
Registered
533 Posts
A good clutch kit will help (and probably a new primary). Along with a new set of reeds. Your sled is probably over reving and buring extra gas cause the clutch and reeds are wore out. It can make a world of difference.

But with a new clutch kit and reeds, it will wake up your sled. Then you end up pinning it more and more, so much for saving on fuel.

:)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys i forgot to mention that i threw a new primary on last year up in michigan but i didn't get to ride it after that. The new primary is a stock one with 2 gram heavier weights than stock and the secondary has a yellow spring not stock i don't think,i bought the sled this way. In the few miles with the new clutch on it at 90mph it was pulling 7200rpm compared to 8500 before i was never able to get it over 7200rpm.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You should find out where you sled makes it's peak HP. Maybe you not getting the max HP out of your sled. 7200 seams low to me for a 580., maybe more like 8200. But I don't know.

newf

·
Registered
210 Posts
how is overall condition of your sled, that makes big differance,i.e. skid frame bearings,skid frame itself, my brother inlaw had a 97 zr 580efi, and boy would that thing pull hard, i had to stop and see if there was an extra piston under the hood, if i remmeber rite his was pullin around 8200-8300prm's and the needle was buried past the century mark.........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts