Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my ZR 800 Cross Country from the dealer after getting an estimate done on damage after a dance with a barbed wire fence. i didn't make it to the truck. Fired the machine and instantly heard the death whine from the tank. Talked to the mechanic about it and he said he didn't even know they were having problems with the pumps. Said that Cat hasn't informed them of any problems with them or any recalls that are coming up. Just by luck, He had another pump there and changed it immediatly. I would like to know what is taking Cat so long to fix this problem if it is so widespread. Consumer satisfaction don't seem to be a high priority. I also find it ridiculous that the dealers are not even being informed of the problem. One funny note though, is that when the mechanic went to change the pump, he pulled out a new tool from his box, still in the packaging, and siad to me "I was wondering what this was for, now I know"

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not ot sure what machines are affected, efi, carbed, or both but check out the earlier forum about pump probs. I believe it is on page two of the arctic cat forum

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, itson page 3

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 2002 ZR600 efi CC with about 350 miles.  I have heard the "whistle of death" coming from my gas tank, but haven't had any problems as of yet.  I was at my dealers this weekend and they happened to get 2 efi's in the same day their Cat rep. was in.  They pulled out the Smart Valves and discovered a very fine film was blocking the Smart Valves.  They believe that certain gases (f***ing corn gas) are mixing with the solvent used to clean the tanks during production, but they aren't 100% certain yet.  Sounds like they are getting closer to finding the solution, but they are sure this film is causing the problem.  They need to do some testing to find out what can be done to eliminate and/or prevent this in the future.  Later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Read the following posts, it was on page 3:

02 efi fuel pump problems? (Pages 1 2 )
Any one here of wide spread problems?

If this happens again - "whistle of death", this is a temporary fix so you are not left stuck on the trail or you want to ride the rest of your weekend do the following:  take a clothes hanger and fish out the rear smart valve which is attached to the fuel hose in the rear of the tank, the rear hose is long enough, then take the valve diaphram apart (use a pliers to squeeze the plastic tabs and then use a small std. screw driver to pry the pieces apart) Once apart remove the rubber gromet (washer) that goes around the plastic post that the diaphram is supposed to slide up and down on and then put things back together.  The sled will work just fine now because the grommet is not there to seal things up and subsequently starve the pump.  Don't let your fuel level get too low and your good to go until our top notch quality conscious snowmobile manufacturer provides us (the customers) a fix.  You could just remove the "smart Valve" entirely, stick the hose back in the tank and be done with it, but I would not recommend that because there will then be no fuel filter.  By just removing the grommet in the smart valve and then reassembling, the "smart" valve's screen can still act as a fuel filter. I think that the "whistel of death" is the fuel pump cavataiting?  Still waiting to hear the fix from CAT, they have all but gone dim on me, non-responsive factory and all the dealers in the Bahamas.  I am pissed off, but I am RIDING!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey Ynot
Are'nt you in San Deigo today? And if your not where the hell were you this last weekend? 230 miles on saturday. Good ride no fatalities only had to fish one out of the river. Some dude from Iowa going 100 at night put er in at chipmunk falls. Call me some time we'll go riding. Oh by the way Arola had the smart valve problem this weekend too. Used your sure fire fix to get him going and well he ran all day no problems.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure they need to do testing, but come on, with this winter being as horrible as it is, and guys with new machines wanting to ride, I think this problem would be top priority. Obviosly not. We have finally got enough snow to ride and I don,t feel like having a weekend ruined because of some problem they say they know nothing about. I am nervous about takin this machine to far in case the pump goes. I like to enjoy my rides rather than worrying if its gonna make it back to the trailer. I've owned Cats for 7 years now and a problem like this and a lack of effort on the factories part kinda makes my loyalty questionable. I ride with 2 other guys that ride 2002 machines of different brand names and have not had one problem. While they are enjoying their machines, I m stuck wondering and worrying

·
Registered
458 Posts
YNOT,,, ( until our top notch quality conscious snowmobile manufactuer provides us),,,,  LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts