Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help all, have a 00 Pantera 580 EFI (batteryless) that will not pump fuel. Have about 4 gal. of gas in tank, measured 2.4 ohms through pump (so there is continuity) and 17 volts coming from the CPU, the voltage hangs around for a couple of seconds and the slowly drops to zero after 1 pull. The parts break down does not show a fuel filter, is it in the pump or in the fuel pickups (screens)?

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

Thanks

Justin

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is the pump actually running? It could be locked up if it isnt. Or it just might need to be primed up. Dont really know, have to see it. I would have someone keep pullin the cord for ya while you listen or feel the pump. Can you pull it out and hook it to a battery?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hook up a battery or DC Voltage source to the pump to see if it is working, I would use a DC Charger and put 6 volts through it . You should hear it.

It may be clogged up.

newf

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
You have confirmed power but does it have ground? If so (and still won't run) try giving the pump a small rap to see if that brings it back to life.
I've started many a late model vehicle with the pump in the tank by doing just that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree with the small rap. I had a zr 600EFI and if it wasn't started every month during storage, it seems a little moisture would biuld up, then corrision, just enough to stick the armature. The little rap worked every time!

Mikezr

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I spoke to my dealer and he gave me a couple of things to check: 1) Stator should give me 1.4 -2.5 ohms, it's 1.6
2) Try to fire the pump with outside source,and this worked but did not have time for checking fuel at the rail.
3)ECU still giving 15 to 17 v
It would seem that all of the components work but not the system. Will pull feed off of rail and make sure its picking up fuel, will also start looking for wiring problems, had not occured to me that a fuel pump could loose prime. Glad that the components work ECU - $870, Stator $400, Pump $270. This is becoming an expensive hobby.

Thanks for all the input, those of you with the suggestion to wack it must be "Red Green" fans, ha ha ha ha

Thanks
Justin

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the pump, was running but not lifting fuel, pump cost $289.00 plus tax. Turns out there was a service bulletin that said to store sleds with fuel in tanks, I've been stabalizing fuel and then running the sled out, not suppose to run pumps dry. Did this one to myself, now looking forward to the pump on my 00 zl580 failing. Hope no one else makes the same mistake

Justin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts