Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy folks - anyone ever drained a fuel tank? I have reason to believe i put in Baaaad stabilizer in my T-cat - what is the procedure for draining the tank? Is it a big job?

Many thanks!

scott

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Idooski - don't ya just love it when the obvious whacks ya in the head like a 2X4 !!

I have no clue why I did not think of that!

I am going to leave this up here so others can laugh at me, since I am already having a hearty chuckle!

Sometimes my moronic tendencies do shine thru.

Thanks !

Scott

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Idooski - lemme run this by you.

started sled 2 weeks ago - fired right up no probs. today - washed her with pressure washer, poured in 200 ml stabilizer into full tank of gas. started - ran but seriously bogging. now - nothing - like i am trying to start with kill switch on. so I pour some stabilizer into glass - looks cloudy, mily, like someting a cat may have yakked up. lots of spark on all 3..but will not catch. and does not smell like it is flooded. plugs mildly wet - not soaked.

any theories? Could i have gotten water in and shorted something?

or has bad stabilizer taken command? Am I to siphon?

Thanks for your help!

Scott

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
You could have caused a problem by pressure washing, but it really should be okay after the machine sits and dries. You said you have good spark, so I would for the moment, eliminate that as the problem. But then, I have never seen Sta-Bil go bad or turn milky either, but I would think that it does at some point. Was it gelled?

After you put the Sta-Bil in, did it run right at first? In other words, did it run right until the Sta-bil had time to get into the carbs? If that's the case, I would lean toward siphoning the tank empty, cleaning the carbs, and starting over. Try pulling your filter out of the tank to see what it looks like. Or pull the fuel line to the carbs and see how your fuel flow is. If the Sta-bil was gelled at all, it may have covered the filter.

I may be way off here. I have never seen this problem with a fuel stabilizer. I'm just trying to throw things out there for you to try.

Let us know what you find.

Keith

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Keith - I will keep you posted.

I tried to start it only after washing and putting in the sta-bil. another note - i put the same stuff in my ZR with NO problem - fired and ran for 10 minutes.

I am quite certain pressure washing was a romp through the Meadow of Moron. I will give it some time and see what happens.

Keep you posted and thanks for your help!

Scott

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Keith - NEVER pressure wash.. She fired today with a little coaxing.

thanks again and have a great weekend -

Scott

·
Registered
980 Posts
Power washing shouldn't be a problem, but even with non-power washing you can get moisture in electrical connections. It is always a good idea to use dialectric grease on all electrical connections and it may be easier to wash the engine bay with a warm engine. A warm engie will (should) start easier and the initial heat will reduce gaps and help evapourate any moisture. WD-40 can help and make sure you run the engine for a good length of time to evapourate as much moisture as possible. Try not to blast water into the bearings on the suspension wheels, and pump fresh grease until the clean stuff oozes out.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
If you want all the gas out pull the gas line and drain into a can , remove the gas cap it will take a while but it will work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts