Snowmobile World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
? anyone know what if it is legal to mount fuel tanks on my sled trailer. to carry extra fuel
They would be fuel tanks from another vehicle so they would be dot approved tanks.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Good idea but i'm guessin it's not legal because if the trail comes un hooked or fails in someway and hits a car or a car hits the trailer, gas will fly and boom boom lol. sometimes i put gas cans on the trailer but it's covered hehehehe just in case it's not legal to haul gas on trailer. :D

·
Registered
959 Posts
well i dont know if you can or not but i know that i can.. with farm use i have used a sled trailer for our fuel tank its a 300gl tank with a pump on iti just put it on the from of the tank and i have had 4x4's on there with it and gone by cops not problem but that was with farm plates i would call your local dot or state patrol office and ask themim sure it can be done leagally just not sure how much safty gear your gonn have to use with it

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
fuel tanks are advertised here that are meant for mount on a trailer.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Would it be much different from people that have fuel tanks in the box of their pick up? If you got an enclosed trailer nobody might not ever know. Although it could be suspicious if u went in the trailer at a gas station and pumped a hundred gallons in there.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I've thought of doing that too, although if I don't do much riding I wouldn't want it staying in there for the summer, I'd probably just use it in the truck

·
Coming 2 a Trail near You
2,267 Posts
I have mounted a gas caddy across the front of my trailer... IT should only be done on a trailer with a wishbone tongue. Two ratchet straps and that thing aint going anywhere... i have been pulled over by state troopers and they never mentioned anything wrong with the set up. its a good thing to keep outside the cabin especially when you dont have to pay $2 a gallon

·
Registered
47 Posts
as long as you stay under the legal amount of gallons that does not require hazardous material license or signs, you should be ok. (100 gallons i believe?) have to get the cdl book out to make sure.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info I am planning on mounting 2 or 4 automotive fuel tanks under the trailer
floor. I should be able to carry a few extra gallons :) I am thinking Since I have a cdl with
hazmat endorsement.?????? seriously I would be interested to know how many gal you can carry
without needing the haz mat papers.

A

·
0 Posts
I think it would depend on where you're at. For example, little known fact, it is illegal in MI to tow a trailer without brakes over 55mph. Sticky laws whereever you go.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That law in MI on trailers is like me going to pick up a 5 gallon can of kero or diesel even a 5 gal
gas container.In PA If I put it in my car or a pickup truck it is legal but I can't legaly do it in my
big truck without being classed as hauling hazardess materiel. I can't even stop and pick a little can
of colman fuel or a can of paint. A dot check in PA could get you a fine for having a can of choke
cleaner in your toolbox.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts